turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

hayer0192

I am a resident of Minnesota, so I will be taking the standard deduction for Federal, but itemizing for my State return. Can Turbo Tax process that?

Is this why I can't do itemized deduction on MN? It transfers my federal ( I have itemized) but set the MN as standard (since I can't find the option to itemize my deduction).
oncodoc85

I am a resident of Minnesota, so I will be taking the standard deduction for Federal, but itemizing for my State return. Can Turbo Tax process that?

Check Form M1SA, that is for MN State itemized deduction. MN you can have standard or itemized deduction irrespective whether you have taken standard or itemized deduction at Federal.
mingles75

The most recent turbotax update resolved my issue.  
hayer0192

But turbo tax doesn't provide the itemized state mn deduction. I reset to put the inputs again and still the same outcome. No option for itemized deduction.
hayer0192

@mingles75  Where do you see the option for itemized deduction?

Check Form M1SA .
mingles75

@hayer0192 in my case, the system just used whatever was best, I didn't see a specific state option for itemized deductions.  I just checked the paperwork on the return and the M1SA for for itemized deductions is there.
hayer0192

@mingles75 I can't force the system or the system gives me the itemized deduction or form M1SA. This is frustating cause I have re-edited the federal and then re-edited the state and it keeps giving me the standard flow/question and inputs.

TurboTax has been informed of this problem. They are fixing this problem .There will be an update on or after Feb 9. MN state has rejected the returns apparently because of this problem. Wait for an update and then file the return.
mingles75

@hayer0192 @doclax is correct, I got rejected today pending yet another update... quite frustrating
hayer0192

@doclax I went to the MN website and they say they do allow itemized deduction. I also check here - where the turbotax says the form is supported both for print and efile. I do not see the form nor the ability to add those deductions. I have some misc deduction (line 25 on M1SA) that I want to report but I don't see these inputs/column or table anywhere during entering the state tax filing process.

Please go to MN Dept. of  Revenue Income Tax/Individual/ Forms and Instructions. Read in detail M1SA form instructions. You may find the information you are looking for.

MN. You can take standard deduction or Itemized deduction irrespective of what you do federal. Form M1M is for standard deduction and Form M1SA is for itemized deduction. However. MN allows charitable donations in both forms. Because of this, TT program has to select either M1M or M1SA form while filing State Tax return. This is causing rejection of Tax Returns.  I was given understanding that will be fixed by Feb 7. Now they have extended to Feb. 9. Wait, it is really frustrating. If It is not fixed by then we may have to consider Paper filing. If we file paper return I hope they refund our $19.99.
maripuri

This is not quite correct. You can file with M1SA and M1M combined. The issue is TT is double counting certain deductions (such as charitable contributions) which is not allowed. I itemize with M1SA and have additional income subtractions on M1M for school tuition and 529 contributions, which is not on M1SA. I haven’t bothered to file yet because I double check all forms on federal and state precisely because of these errors. When I checked the forms myself, I noticed this “double counting” and reported it to TT. When you pay for their software, you expect better quality. I think this is the last year I will use TT.
hayer0192

@doclax Turbo tax should be able to transfer those deductions and inputs to the state. If we select itemized for federal, it should present the itemized for state. M1M doesn't have the line that I need. For example, medical expenses, and the misc deduction. I was looking for these lines and Turbo does not present this option or ask these questions. I have to go through the process each time to see if I miss it but it is clear Turbo tax has not updated the M1SA form and available for customers :(
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies