Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Medical expenses worksheet 2.b taxpayers portion of 1095-a premiums (total less spouse) is showing a large number. Where did this come from?

I had an unexpected income that will require I pay back all my premiums from insurance received from the market place. why is turbo tax creating a deduction on my medical expenses worksheet for my 1095-a form 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Medical expenses worksheet 2.b taxpayers portion of 1095-a premiums (total less spouse) is showing a large number. Where did this come from?

Out of pocket health insurance premiums are a medical expense deduction (i.e. amounts paid by you out of pocket and not through the premium tax credits).  Now, that you have to repay all of the premium tax credit you received due to an increase in income, all of the premiums paid would be eligible medical expenses for itemized deduction purposes.  

If not paid yet, but listed as owing on form 1040, can these charges be included as medical expenses?  TT is taking that amount and putting them in with medical expenses on sch a

@cranberry wrote:

If not paid yet, but listed as owing on form 1040, can these charges be included as medical expenses?

Medical expenses owed are not reported on a tax return.  You only enter medical expenses paid during the tax year with out of pocket funds and the expenses paid were not reimbursed.  

The charges I am talking about are repayment from 1095-A.  He was given assistance all year and then due to income, he did not qualify and has to pay back after reconciling.  TurboTax took that amount and added it to 1040 as owing which I understand. TurboTax is including that amount in medical expenses on Schedule A . If he did not pay back yet, but will on taxes, is this correct??

Why isn't it paid yet?  If you have to pay back some of it, you pay it back on your tax return.  Then you also get a Medical deduction for it.  2 different things.

If you went to an exchange for Health Insurance, and had to pay back some of the subsidy, part of the adjustment will flow to Schedule A.

If you get Social Security benefits the medicare deduction on your SSA-1099 will flow to Schedule A.

@cranberry wrote:

The charges I am talking about are repayment from 1095-A.  He was given assistance all year and then due to income, he did not qualify and has to pay back after reconciling.  TurboTax took that amount and added it to 1040 as owing which I understand. TurboTax is including that amount in medical expenses on Schedule A . If he did not pay back yet, but will on taxes, is this correct??

That is correct.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies