Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ashokku

Medical expense deduction: is the amount paid through HSA account is considered out of pocket?

I paid 2016 medical bills through HSA account and my personal credit card. So when I enter the out of pocket amount should I add "HSA + my credit card" amounts that I paid or just credit card amount .. please help, thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Medical expense deduction: is the amount paid through HSA account is considered out of pocket?

Amounts paid via HSA funds are already pre-tax, so you would not deduct them again. Enter the after-tax amounts you paid with your credit card in the medical expense section of schedule A.

• In your open return, select My Account
  • Tools
  • Topic Search
  • Type 'sch a, medical deductions' in the box, then select GO
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ashokku

Thanks, but I see Turbotax is saying as follow - "Note: Be sure to include your medical expenses covered by your MSA/HSA distribution as medical expenses on the previous screens, but do not include amounts that will be reimbursed with distribution in a later year."

This gives me impression that I need to add the amount that I spent through my HSA account.

Please clarify.. thanks!
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Let me check..
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

The page you described is asking for confirmation of your HSA distributions previously entered on a 1099-SA. If you entered a 1099-SA previously, then you are correct.

Enter the total medical expenses. The 1099-SA distribution amount will be subtracted from the total medical expenses and flow to the Schedule A, line 1. From that point, it is compared to your AGI and the deductible amount listed on line 4 of the Schedule A.
ashokku

Thanks a lot for your quick response. I also looked at the form schedule a 'Medical expense worksheet' and found that amount paid through HSA was being deducted from the amount paid through my credit card, which is not correct because overall amount I paid was = HSA+credit card. So, to make it correct, I have to add HSA amount as well so that correct equation could be = (HSA+credit card) - HSA. Thanks again!
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

You are welcome! The desktop versions do have advantages to viewing the flow of calculations from form to form/schedules/worksheets.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies