turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I lost the deposit of 22k on a new construction home. Can I write it off as a loss? What documentation should I have for IRS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

I lost the deposit of 22k on a new construction home. Can I write it off as a loss? What documentation should I have for IRS?

It depends on whether the home was going to be your personal residence or an investment or rental property. 

If the property was intended to be your personal residence, unfortunately, this is considered a nondeductible personal loss.

Conversely, if this was to be an investment property or a rental home, the loss would qualify as a nonbusiness bad debt - deductible as a capital loss at 3,000 dollars a year against your ordinary income (wages and other income) and dollar for dollar against capital gain income.

If this qualifies as a nonbusiness bad debt, you would want to keep any documentation that shows you were seeking a non-owner occupied mortgage, cancelled checks for the payments, and documentation that shows the deposit was forfeited.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Phillip1

It depends on whether the home was going to be your personal residence or an investment or rental property. 

If the property was intended to be your personal residence, unfortunately, this is considered a nondeductible personal loss.

Conversely, if this was to be an investment property or a rental home, the loss would qualify as a nonbusiness bad debt - deductible as a capital loss at 3,000 dollars a year against your ordinary income (wages and other income) and dollar for dollar against capital gain income.

If this qualifies as a nonbusiness bad debt, you would want to keep any documentation that shows you were seeking a non-owner occupied mortgage, cancelled checks for the payments, and documentation that shows the deposit was forfeited.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies