Can I take a tax credit for buying a USED electric vehicle?

It appears, unfortunately, that used vehicles do not qualify for the Plug-In Electric Drive Vehicle Credit at the Federal level.  The original use of the vehicle must commence with the taxpayer.  See the following IRS link  for additional details.

Yes, the only people who can afford a brand new electric car are the people who really don't need a tax credit.

Dear ceea220, your comment is not helpful.

But the comment was very funny. It made me laugh out loud. 🙂

...and spot on accurate!

This is a junk credit. If people who buy a used volt dont qualify for a tax credit. I mean we do pay alot for the car even used. And if we didnt buy the cars and instead buy a car that uses gas. There would be less on the road. The whole point is to get the cars on the road. The company that sold me mine. Told me id get a big tax credit for buying it. Thats the straw that broke my back on it. And why i bought it instead of a charger. They should open this credit to anyone who buys one and keeps the cars on the road. I am paying almost as much as the car was when it was brand new. 

You are preaching to the choir here ... complain to your congressperson ... they are the only ones who can make any change in the tax laws.