Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Is the turbotax system updated to account for the $300 charitable deductions under the CARES Act for those who take the standard deduction?

Be aware that you may see an issue regarding your charitable contributions as you progress through the rest of your return and you get ready to file.

For the 2021 tax return using the Married Filing Joint filing status, you are allowed to deduct up to $600 in cash contributions to charity without claiming itemized deductions.

If you are using the Married Filing Joint filing status AND using the standard deduction:

As you go through your Federal return and you have entered your charitable contributions, you will not see any additional questions regarding your inputs.  If your state return also allows you to deduct charitable contributions, then the amounts you entered will be taken into account on your state return. 

After you have finished your state return and you are getting ready to file, when you run the final Review, you will probably see this message:

1040/1040SR Wks:  Charitable Contributions:  Charitable contributions has an unacceptable value

You will also see a place at the top of the screen for Charitable contributions with '300' in the box.  Below that box, you can see your Form 1040 line 12a which shows the amount of your cash contributions that you already entered. 

If your line 12a is greater or equal to $600, enter '600' in the box at the top of the screen.

If your line 12a is less than $600, enter your line 12a amount in the box at the top of the screen.

After changing the input at the top of the screen to the correct value, proceed through any other errors that may pop up and then move forward to file your return.  It is very important that you do not revisit any other section of your return before you file or the change may not be retained or able to be changed a second time.

See the screenshot below for reference:

@jpatul

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is the turbotax system updated to account for the $300 charitable deductions under the CARES Act for those who take the standard deduction?

Where do I report the charities that make up my $300 when I am 1) taking the standard deduction and 2) have already typed in all the charities that were QCD's from my IRA? How does turbotax differentiate those charities?

At this page: Here are your 2020 and 2021 Deductions and Credits, the amount of my allowed charitable cash contribution ($300 ) is listed along with the standard deduction. But the program does not add the $300 to the total deductions.

How do we find out if Turbotax is fixing this problem?

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

All of your charitable contributions will be entered into the Deductions and Credits > Charitable Donations section of your return.  Then, if you are taking the standard deduction but you have donated up to $300 in cash contributions (up to $600 for Married Filing Joint), that amount up to the limit will be included on your return on Form 1040 line 12b.  

If you are using a CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, use Forms in the upper right corner of the screen to view your Form 1040 and verify the entry. 

If you are using TurboTax Online, preview your Form 1040 by using these steps while you are working on your tax return:

• In the navigation area on the left side of your screen, click Tax Tools to expand your choices
  • Click Tools, which will open the Tool Center
  • Click View Tax Summary under “Other Helpful Links…
  • Click Preview My 1040 to see your actual tax form

Be aware that you should not include any charitable contributions for Qualified Charitable Distributions.  This would be considered to be double-dipping because the distribution that was donated to the qualified charity was never taxed on your return.  You have already received the tax benefit for that charitable contribution.

@urvashi2015

Thanks! I found this on Form 1040 but on line 12b.

mwbrugger

I am still having an issue submitting a non-cash charitable contribution.  Turbo tax will only recognize the cash.  I guess I'll just submit all cash so I can file my return.

JillS56
Expert Alumni

This is not a TurboTax issue.   The $300 charitable deduction is only for cash contributions.   Non-cash contributions are not eligible for the $300 charitable deduction.

jsirutis

For 2021 returns, the place to look for it is line 12b of Form 1040. I was able to enter the donations as usual, but I didn't see the refund amount changing - maybe I missed it. However, I found the proper limit amount ($600 for married filing jointly) populated on Line 12b, so I'm presuming it's all properly accounted for.

jsirutis

Line 12b in 2021 returns.

Hello all - I missed this, and neglected to enter the $600 in 2021 charitable cash donations combined for me and my wife before filing.  What is the most efficient way to fix that?  I see the option of amending a return.  Thank you.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

To amend your return, please see How to amend (change or correct) a return you've already filed.

After you elect to amend, please follow the steps below to enter your charitable contribution in the correct place in TurboTax :

1. Open your return. 
  2. Click Federal from the left side of your screen.
  3. Click Deductions & Credits on the top of the screen.
  4. Scroll down and click the Wrap up tax breaks button.
  5. Continue until you reach the Get a tax break for donating cash to charity screen.
  6. Enter your charitable cash contributions.

@swkorb

Thanks very much @LenaH - I proceeded as you laid out.  TT seemed to prompt me to also amend my Michigan State return, but I don't believe I need to amend my state return? 

Also, TT calculated amended difference between original return and amended return of $142.  Shouldn't the difference be $600 (we donated more than $600 to charity in cash total in 2021)?

also, I don't appear to be getting the screen specifically meant to capture cash donations for a return using standard deduction.  I entered the cash donations in the normal area for entering charitable donations (as if I was itemizing).  I am on the line with TT help right now, they advised to delete all of my charitable donation entries where I put them, and said a screen should pop up elsewhere for me to apply the $600 charitable cash donations for a credit on a return using standard deduction.  But we're not seeing that?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

When you select to use the Standard Deduction, is the program putting any amount on your 1040 line 12b?

Are you entering the donations as CASH?

If you're using Desktop

Have you checked for updates?

Can you go to Forms, 1040/1040SR Wks and edit line 12b? 

You works receive a refund/adjustment for the tax impact of your donation.  So if your marginal tax rate is 25%, adding a $600 donation gets you $150 back. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies