Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is form 8862,?

It say form 8862 missing. What do I do,?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardK

What is form 8862,?

IRS Form 8862 is used to claim the earned income tax credit (EITC), it the EITC was disallowed or reduced, for reasons other than math or clerical errors, after 1996. Click here to view the TurboTax article.

We can help you file Form 8862. Follow these steps to add it to your taxes.

1.     Open your return if you don't already have it open.
(To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)

2.     In the search box, search for 8862 and then click the Jump to 8862 link in the search results.  This will navigate to the Earned Income Credit section. Click Continue.

3.     Answer any questions that apply to you and navigate to the screen where it asks Do any of these uncommon situations apply?

4.     Check the box that says, I/we got a letter/notice from the IRS telling me/us to fill out an 8862 form to claim the Earned Income Credit.

5.     Click Continue and then Done.

6.     On the Since you got an IRS notice, we need to check if any of these apply to your situation screen, click the radio button next to No, none of these apply and I need to fill out the 8862 form.

7.     Click Continue

8.     Form 8862 will display.  Fill out any necessary info and click Continue.

Click here to see the TurboTax article that includes a video  

View solution in original post

12 Replies

What is form 8862,?

need to add 8862
tcofer33

What is form 8862,?

RichardK

What is form 8862,?

IRS Form 8862 is used to claim the earned income tax credit (EITC), it the EITC was disallowed or reduced, for reasons other than math or clerical errors, after 1996. Click here to view the TurboTax article.

We can help you file Form 8862. Follow these steps to add it to your taxes.

1.     Open your return if you don't already have it open.
(To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)

2.     In the search box, search for 8862 and then click the Jump to 8862 link in the search results.  This will navigate to the Earned Income Credit section. Click Continue.

3.     Answer any questions that apply to you and navigate to the screen where it asks Do any of these uncommon situations apply?

4.     Check the box that says, I/we got a letter/notice from the IRS telling me/us to fill out an 8862 form to claim the Earned Income Credit.

5.     Click Continue and then Done.

6.     On the Since you got an IRS notice, we need to check if any of these apply to your situation screen, click the radio button next to No, none of these apply and I need to fill out the 8862 form.

7.     Click Continue

8.     Form 8862 will display.  Fill out any necessary info and click Continue.

Click here to see the TurboTax article that includes a video  

rheman

What is form 8862,?

what is form 8862

kthompson_2015
Returning Member

What is form 8862,?

I did not receive a notice from the IRS however I just received the 1095-A and have already filed when I contacted the IRS has it is way beyond 21days I was notified my return was sent to errors dep and no notice was attached explains why! Then this 1095 for arrived  3 months late so I imagine this is my hold up! How do I fix this?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

What is form 8862,?

Amend your return and include the 1095A in the return and send to the IRS. You will need to send a copy of your 1095A with your amended return to the IRS. Make sure you keep a copy of it. Also you may receive a letter from the IRS requesting a copy of your 1095A and 8962. They may tell you not to send them the amended return, but to send both of documents. If you receive this letter, go ahead and send them the 1095A and 8962 to the address that they provide. Send a response with this letter to tell them that you have already sent an amended return with the copy of the 1095A included.

i am only advising you to prepare the amended return just in case of you do not receive the letter.  Make sure you keep a copy of the 1095A just in case they send you a letter after submitting your amended return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What is form 8862,?

How do I fill out the form8862

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

What is form 8862,?

For guidance in entering Form 8862 into TurboTax, please see TurboTax article "How do I enter Form 8862?".

For actual line-by-line instructions, you can look at the Instructions for Form 8862

Lisaizell
Returning Member

What is form 8862,?

What is a 8862 form

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

What is form 8862,?

Click this link for more info on Form 8862, Information to Claim Earned Income Credit after Disallowance

neicy59

What is form 8862,?

i want to remove the earned income credit

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

What is form 8862,?

@neicy59

IRS form 8862 Information to Claim Earned Income Credit after Disallowance is explained here.

To simply remove the Earned Income Credit, at the screen Do you live in the US for more than six months in 2021? click No to not qualify for the Earned Income Credit.

However, you may want to review IRS form 8862 to see if you are required to file the form.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies