Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

writer614

I claimed mileage but I was reimbursed by my employer .40 a mile. I am not sure if I should have claimed this mileage I may have made a mistake.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I claimed mileage but I was reimbursed by my employer .40 a mile. I am not sure if I should have claimed this mileage I may have made a mistake.

Your entries probably won't impact your return.  TurboTax does still allow entries for Form 2106 where unreimbursed employee expenses have been claimed.  However, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act has suspended this deduction from the Federal Return, so if you entered these expenses on that screen, you shouldn't see any impact because Michigan does not itemize deductions on their return either.

The only way you would have seen an impact is if your refund decreased, or your tax due increased after entering the information.  That would be an incorrect entry, because your reimbursement for your employee driving is not taxable to you.  If you did see any changes, you want to simply delete those entries, because it should not be on your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Where are you claiming the mileage?
writer614

In Michigan
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I'm sorry, I meant on your tax return.  Were you an employee or a self-employed contractor?
writer614

An employee
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Your entries probably won't impact your return.  TurboTax does still allow entries for Form 2106 where unreimbursed employee expenses have been claimed.  However, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act has suspended this deduction from the Federal Return, so if you entered these expenses on that screen, you shouldn't see any impact because Michigan does not itemize deductions on their return either.

The only way you would have seen an impact is if your refund decreased, or your tax due increased after entering the information.  That would be an incorrect entry, because your reimbursement for your employee driving is not taxable to you.  If you did see any changes, you want to simply delete those entries, because it should not be on your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies