turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zakh11

My wife is covered under my HSA. How do I report this on the HSA part of the filing?

I don't know if I check that we both have an HSA if she is covered under mine. Then, do the deductions paid out for it just get listed under me? Or does it matter which person received the payouts?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

My wife is covered under my HSA. How do I report this on the HSA part of the filing?

If your wife is covered under your HDHP, then you have a family plan HSA. The HSA is owned individually by you, but because you have a family plan, you can pay for medical expenses for the both of you.

On the page, Were you enrolled in a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) in 2016? Answer yes, if you were the account owner, then select Me and my family if your wife is covered by your HDHP. See attachment.

Enter Form 1099-SA in TurboTax. The form will list the total distributions from the account. It doesn't matter who the expenses where for under a family plan.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

If your wife is covered under your HDHP, then you have a family plan HSA. The HSA is owned individually by you, but because you have a family plan, you can pay for medical expenses for the both of you.

On the page, Were you enrolled in a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) in 2016? Answer yes, if you were the account owner, then select Me and my family if your wife is covered by your HDHP. See attachment.

Enter Form 1099-SA in TurboTax. The form will list the total distributions from the account. It doesn't matter who the expenses where for under a family plan.

michD

Same situation.  My husband works.  I am not employed with an HSA. He has the whole family under his high deductible medical and we pay for the whole families medical expenses out of his HSA but turbo tax asks me if I have an HSA.  I do not have my own.  So is turbo tax asking me if I have an HSA plan separate from his?  Like from a former job or employer?  Is that what it is asking since I am not currently employed?  It does not ask the same question about my adult son.  So just want to clarify that this answer should be NO since I do not own my own HSA account.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

You do not have your own HSA.  Your husband has the HSA and has the family plan.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies