turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

asdf

Where Did You Receive Dividend Income From? Select all countries to which you paid foreign tax on dividends reported on Form 1099-DIV

When I get to the screen that says Do You Want the Deduction or the Credit?, after I choose Credit, and then on "Reporting Foreign Taxes Paid" I click continue, it then asks: "Where Did You Receive Dividend Income From? Select all countries to which you paid foreign tax on dividends reported on Form 1099-DIV"

1. On the 1099-DIV I got from Vanguard, it just says I received dividend income for VTIAX. What country am I supposed to select for this question?

2. I did live and work abroad in 2 different countries in 2017. However, the only income I got from those countries (other than dividend income from VTIAX) was salary income. Do I select those 2 countries for this question? Do I enter how much income tax I paid for my employment in those 2 countries?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Where Did You Receive Dividend Income From? Select all countries to which you paid foreign tax on dividends reported on Form 1099-DIV

If your 1099-DIV does not list the countries that you paid your foreign tax on the dividends received, then you need to visit the Vanguard fund website for VTIAX.  The Vanguard website should provide this tax information.  If this is not listed on the website, then contact Vanguard for this information.  

You will not select the foreign countries where you lived as that does not answer the question about where the foreign taxes were paid for the dividend income received from your investments.

However, when you report any foreign taxes you paid for the wages you received abroad, then at that time you will indicate the two countries you paid foreign tax to - if you paid foreign tax on the income received for working in that country.

I have a similar question with regard to GDXJ.  I received dividends and was withheld foreign tax.

When I went to the Fund Administrator website (https://www.vaneck.com/etf/equity/gdxj/holdings/), the holdings are from many countries.  The amount of countries is more than what TurboTax allows for me to enter (TT allows 4 countries only) for this question.

Any advice?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

1.  If you can't find your foreign country or if it is from multiple countries.  Select "Various" under foreign countries. See the image below.

2.  You should not enter the foreign countries you worked in.  It is the foreign country where the foreign dividend income was derived from.  However, when you report any foreign taxes you paid for the wages you have made overseas, as you enter that amount, you will select the two countries you paid foreign tax to.

@asdf @chengat

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies