turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hoped

I have 2 separate donations of clothing to Goodwill Industries that add up to over $500, do I need to fill out form 8382? or is just for a single donation of over $500?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnH2

I have 2 separate donations of clothing to Goodwill Industries that add up to over $500, do I need to fill out form 8382? or is just for a single donation of over $500?

If you made non-cash charitable contributions over $500 but less than $5,000 you should complete Section A of Form 8283.  Section A asks for the name of each donor organization.  Consequently, you can combine similar items by donor.  TurboTax will handle this for you and complete the Form 8283 in the Charitable Donations Section of Deductions and Credits

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JohnH2

If you made non-cash charitable contributions over $500 but less than $5,000 you should complete Section A of Form 8283.  Section A asks for the name of each donor organization.  Consequently, you can combine similar items by donor.  TurboTax will handle this for you and complete the Form 8283 in the Charitable Donations Section of Deductions and Credits

She's asking if you have to use the combined donation or the individual donation value when determining if the form 8283 is required.  Your answer didn't address that.

Any update on this? I'm trying to figure this out for 2019. Thanks!

I am also interested in the answer -- this last year a lot of our usual places to donate clothes and household goods were not taking donations so we donated some to a place in early spring and again in the fall to the same place.  Both donations did not exceed $500.  So are the separate donations at $500 or less or the combined value?

You would report the combined value of the charitable donations.

Here is a great TurboTax article with lots of information about Charitable contributions.

@ken682

ScottSS

The problem is greatly compounded if there are many individual items that separately are far less than $500 (e.g. CDs, DVDs, books, costume jewelry) but combined may be greater than $500. the IRS does not require filling in for the individual items and it is impossible to do so for multiple grouped items purchased at different times and at different prices (plus basically impossible to remember this information). IRS only cares if the SINGLE item is above $500. By combining into single category multiple items you only create more confusion and IRS scrutiny that is not required or necessary. Note below single "item" reference from IRS code:

• describe each item over $500 that you donated,
  • identify the recipient, and
  • provide information about the value of the item, including your cost or adjusted basis.

In the past, you could split the many items into groups of items that the total did not exceed $500 and all worked. HOWEVER, this year there is a bug either in Turbotax or ItsDeductible that unnecessarily and incorrectly combines even further the grouped items that were in ItsDeductible donated item groups valued at <=$500 into total identical item groups for that one donation that may exceed $500! Plus it changes the valued category from "ItsDeductible" to "Valued by Customer"!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies