turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I wish to take the standard deduction, can I enter that I do not have any deductions? IE: I paid interest on a home mortgage, can I just enter that I did not?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

If I wish to take the standard deduction, can I enter that I do not have any deductions? IE: I paid interest on a home mortgage, can I just enter that I did not?

TurboTax always computes your deductions both ways  ( standard and itemized ) and then suggests the best option for you --- but you can tell TurboTax which type of deduction you want to take, even if the other one was higher ( there are  legitimate reasons  for choosing one over the other besides the larger).  And yes you can choose not to report/ recognize interest expense.  Does that  help ?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax always computes your deductions both ways  ( standard and itemized ) and then suggests the best option for you --- but you can tell TurboTax which type of deduction you want to take, even if the other one was higher ( there are  legitimate reasons  for choosing one over the other besides the larger).  And yes you can choose not to report/ recognize interest expense.  Does that  help ?

Thank you, PK. I thought that was the right answer. I know the standard is the better option for me and I don't want to track down/wait for my mortgage interest, vehicle registrations, etc. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't required to enter that information for some reason.
pk
Level 15
Level 15

welcome

If you do not itemize, obviously the standard deduction will be higher. You are not obligated to enter anything.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies