Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dave1040

House burnt down. The next year I sold the land at a gain. No Form 1099-S was received. Can I reduce the new house basis or is this taxable gain?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

House burnt down. The next year I sold the land at a gain. No Form 1099-S was received. Can I reduce the new house basis or is this taxable gain?

Edited 3/11/18

The sale of the land would generally be a gain but see further answers below. Your house that was burnt by file should have been reported as a Casualty and Theft to recoup any amount that the insurance company did not reimburse.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Edited 3/11/18

The sale of the land would generally be a gain but see further answers below. Your house that was burnt by file should have been reported as a Casualty and Theft to recoup any amount that the insurance company did not reimburse.

Dave1040

I don't understand your answer on the land gain?  Is it taxable and where do I report the gain?  Or, do I reduce the basis in the new house?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Edited. It may be an optionsince the house/land would generally be valued together.You do not reduce the basis of the new house. The two properties have nothing to do with each other.

If no 1099-S was issued was this your personal residence prior to the fire ?   If so did you profit more than $250K ($500K married) ?  And did you live in the home for more than 2 years out of the last 5 prior to the sale?
Dave1040

This was my personal residence prior to the fire.  The profit was less than $500,000.  Yes we lived in the house 30 years before the fire.

Then you have nothing to report on a tax return.  What you did with the proceeds of the home is not material, has not been for more than 20 years.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies