turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I would love some information on the Cares Act, and how it would affect me? I usually don’t get a lot from taxes back and I was wondering how that works?

I know it’s to help aid in the loss of jobs during the Coronavirus but what if you don’t want to accept the money?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

I would love some information on the Cares Act, and how it would affect me? I usually don’t get a lot from taxes back and I was wondering how that works?

Follow these sites for the most up to date info.  Things are changing rapidly.  Not all questions have been answered yet.

IRS Coronavirus Tax Relief

TurboTax Corona Virus Tax Center Updates

https://www.sbtpg.com/coronavirus-stimulus-payment-info/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@brandy-palafox96 wrote:
I know it’s to help aid in the loss of jobs during the Coronavirus but what if you don’t want to accept the money?

If you are referring to the $1200 Stimulus payment, no, it is only for those who have lost money from their jobs.    It is meant to stimulate the economy (which DOES help other people keep their jobs).  They WANT everybody to SPEND the money, so in turn, that spent money can be used by others, which as you said, can help people keep their jobs

So if you were to not spend the money, you are helping the keep the economy down, and effectively helping to keep people unemployed.

In direct answer to your question, it is a tax credit.  So in order to file a correct 2020 tax return, you NEED to accept it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies