turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I regained legal custody of my daughter in June 2018 but resided an additional month only because I had issues getting her into daycare. The caregiver was family though, and I could have picked Zoey u

Am I eligible for the Child Tax Credit since I had custody of her for over 6 months?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I regained legal custody of my daughter in June 2018 but resided an additional month only because I had issues getting her into daycare. The caregiver was family though, and I could have picked Zoey u

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/rules-for-claiming-a-dependent-on-your-tax-return/L8LODb...

Very possibly you are eligible. The main thing is that only one person (one tax return) can claim her. It doesn't sound like anyone else would be eligible to do that from your description and that you are eligible. A child living away from home is still an eligible dependent when you read the fine print. The IRS, of course, has a whole pamphlet on this, but if you can answer the TurboTax questions, they've been carefully phrased to guide you in the right direction.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/rules-for-claiming-a-dependent-on-your-tax-return/L8LODb...

Very possibly you are eligible. The main thing is that only one person (one tax return) can claim her. It doesn't sound like anyone else would be eligible to do that from your description and that you are eligible. A child living away from home is still an eligible dependent when you read the fine print. The IRS, of course, has a whole pamphlet on this, but if you can answer the TurboTax questions, they've been carefully phrased to guide you in the right direction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies