Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ohoolihan

I moved from U.K. to USA and started in Dec 2016 and had not earned enough to deduct my moving expenses in 2016 can I claim my moving expenses against 2017 tax returns?

I had not like most people moved nationally hence I have no income other than the December pay.  I came on a work visa from the UK in my field of expertise to the USA. I still remain employed at the employer and was not reimbursed for any moving expenses.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I moved from U.K. to USA and started in Dec 2016 and had not earned enough to deduct my moving expenses in 2016 can I claim my moving expenses against 2017 tax returns?

No - Since you incurred these moving expenses in 2016, you will not be able to claim any 2016 moving expenses paid in 2016 when moving to the USA in 2016 on the current year's (2017) income tax return. 

However, if you had any moving expense that were actually incurred and paid during the 2017 tax year (like you had your items in storage for a month and then shipped them to the USA in January), you can include these moving on your 2017 income tax return.

Please refer to these links related to moving expenses: IRS - Moving Expenses and Moving Expense Deduction

To enter deductible moving expenses in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "moving expenses" in the search bar then select "jump to moving expenses". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

No - Since you incurred these moving expenses in 2016, you will not be able to claim any 2016 moving expenses paid in 2016 when moving to the USA in 2016 on the current year's (2017) income tax return. 

However, if you had any moving expense that were actually incurred and paid during the 2017 tax year (like you had your items in storage for a month and then shipped them to the USA in January), you can include these moving on your 2017 income tax return.

Please refer to these links related to moving expenses: IRS - Moving Expenses and Moving Expense Deduction

To enter deductible moving expenses in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "moving expenses" in the search bar then select "jump to moving expenses". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies