turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim charitable for a person made after there death?

My daughter passed in February 2016, I am going to file her taxes for 2016. We donated here things to charities. Can I claim them on here taxes even though the donated was after her death.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

I'm afraid not.  First, your daughter's tax year ended at her death, so it's not possible to have post-mortem donations reported on her final tax return.  Second, her property was transferred at her death to her heirs or by the terms of her will.  The property belonged to her heirs, and the heirs donated the property (and get the tax deduction), not the deceased daughter.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RichardG

I'm afraid not.  First, your daughter's tax year ended at her death, so it's not possible to have post-mortem donations reported on her final tax return.  Second, her property was transferred at her death to her heirs or by the terms of her will.  The property belonged to her heirs, and the heirs donated the property (and get the tax deduction), not the deceased daughter.

Same situation but what if death was caused by Covid under declared National Emergency and could not have gotten into apartment before or after to handle the disposition?

Covid doesn't change the rules.  There is no such thing as a postmortem deduction by the decedent. 

Someone inherited the property, either via a will or the laws of intestacy.  The person who inherited the property can probably claim a deduction if the items were donated. You would still need all the usual proofs; such as a donation receipt and an itemized list of items with the fair market values.  

srogers63

All remarks on donations are true, but not true that everything that happens after death doesn't impact decedents tax return. For example, depending on when during the year the death occurred, the Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) from the decedent's IRA must be on the decedent's final tax return even though ownership of the IRA has been passed to one or more beneficiaries and the RMD occurred after death.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies