retired-1-30-200

Can I claim charitable for a person made after there death?

My daughter passed in February 2016, I am going to file her taxes for 2016. We donated here things to charities. Can I claim them on here taxes even though the donated was after her death.

RichardG

I'm afraid not.  First, your daughter's tax year ended at her death, so it's not possible to have post-mortem donations reported on her final tax return.  Second, her property was transferred at her death to her heirs or by the terms of her will.  The property belonged to her heirs, and the heirs donated the property (and get the tax deduction), not the deceased daughter.

RichardG

ron6612

Same situation but what if death was caused by Covid under declared National Emergency and could not have gotten into apartment before or after to handle the disposition?

Covid doesn't change the rules.  There is no such thing as a postmortem deduction by the decedent. 

Someone inherited the property, either via a will or the laws of intestacy.  The person who inherited the property can probably claim a deduction if the items were donated. You would still need all the usual proofs; such as a donation receipt and an itemized list of items with the fair market values.