turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I keep getting prompted to enter form 8839, the qualified adoptive child worksheet, but I have no adopted children. The form is not available for me to delete on tax tool

This form is not available for me to delete on the tax tools page. I've tried deleting this entry from the deduction screen, and it lets me delete it to the point where it says you have no adopted children to add, but as soon as I attempt to file a new entry pops up with the name "Untitled" and I have to repeat the process. How can I delete form 8839 when it's not even showing on my list of available forms?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I keep getting prompted to enter form 8839, the qualified adoptive child worksheet, but I have no adopted children. The form is not available for me to delete on tax tool

Try going back through the Personal Info section. You may have accidentally clicked "adopted" when entering info about your children.

nsaling
Returning Member

I have been going over this issue for quite some time tonight. I have deleted the form several times deleted the "untitled" child from the form and it continues to do the same thing over and over in a loop. If i go to tools and delete form it asks if I want to delete and I say yes then it says deleted but it continues to show up. I have researched how to get passed it and the same thing over and over. Seems to be an issue for a while have seen others have the same problems but no resolution. Please help

It sounds like the software might be picking up on an adopted child from the Personal Information section.  

This is where it would come from:

If, after you've checked back and verified that you don't have an adopted child checked, you can delete Form 8839 as follows:

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

@nsaling

• Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  • In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  • In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  • Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.
nsaling
Returning Member

I have the none of the above marked on this page.

nsaling
Returning Member

It is still doing the same thing I have checked all the kids and marked none of the above. It tells me I can't use the credit then when I have the return checked it shows up again with "untitled child" I deleted the form again and it shows up again. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

At this point, delete all of your children information in MY INFO the return and then reenter. Before you reenter the information, do an error check to make sure the error is clear and then reenter your children's information making sure  you mark that they are not adopted children.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mbekas

I efiled but got error message about 8839 and there are no adoptive children

mbekas

If you can get thru to support get them to fix this glitch. Thanks. 
I have no menu item call tax tools

mbekas

Thanks. Tried your suggestion and the form 8839 was not there again. 
best

mike

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

@mbekas Please contact customer support here for further assistance so that we can take a look at what is going on to better assist you.

@nsaling Were you able to figure out how to file and get rid of this problem??! I keep having the same issues as well...

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You can fill this form out for someone to call you. They can look at your screen and see what the problem is.

• Call 1-800-446-8848
  • Press 1 for turbo tax
  • Press 1 again if in US
  • Ask for Taxes help
  • ask for associate
  • Spell out first name
  • Spell out last name
  • let them have access to your screen
  • Tell them about the adoptive child form
  • Look up in search bar: qualified adoptive expenses
  • There should be a little highlighted section below the search bar that states something similar "go to adoptive expenses " with an arrow.
  • Delete untitled child!
  • Customer service was really professional and helpful. Solved my issue.

If the Adopted Child Credit Worksheet (Form 8839) is showing up in your errors on review and you don't have any adopted kids, here's a possible fix for this issue if you're using Turbotax Desktop 2022;

Go to Personal (on  gray top navigation bar); Go to Deductions & Credits; 

How do you want....?

----> "I'll choose  what I work on."

Scroll down to  You and your Family

---> Visit All

Money Savings Credits Related To Your Family;

See if you qualify? --->  Yes

Did you pay for Child/Dependent care....2022?

----> No

You don't qualify for this.

---> Done

Looks like we're missing some info. You should see a needs review message above an "Untitled" Dependent;

Click on the garbage can to delete this phantom child.

Are you sure you want to delete this adoptive child? 

---> Yes

You should now see: "You currently don't have any adopted child info." 

Next screen:

Let us know if you have an adoption credit carryforward from prior years.

Leave this blank and ----> Continue;

It turns out you don't qualify for this credit.

----> Done

Go to Review. The worksheet should be gone.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies