turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DFreeman1
Returning Member

I keep getting check this entry and it says 1040/1040SR Wks. Excess FICA Withheld. When I go to adjust in to put no value. I have only put in 1 W2. What do I do?

Husband had one W-2 and Wife had one W-2. Both amounts were verified to be accurate at 6.2%. The max amount you have listed was not exceeded. The W-2s were deleted and reentered. Same result. Please assist as this is frustrating and does not seem to be a valid or logical solution. 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

I keep getting check this entry and it says 1040/1040SR Wks. Excess FICA Withheld. When I go to adjust in to put no value. I have only put in 1 W2. What do I do?

Excess FICA withheld with only two W-2s usually means both W-2s are coded in TurboTax as belonging either to the husband or to the wife.

Get back to Your W-2 info so far:

• Type w-2 in Search in the upper right
  • Click Jump to W-2

There will be a name by each W-2. Are they correct? If not, select Review on each W-2 and change the name in the box This W-2 belongs to…

W-2 names

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Try deleting the cents on box 4.  It might be rounding to too much.

DFreeman1
Returning Member

I checked and each W-2 showed attached to the correct owner.  Also the amounts are rounded up or down as needed. Will that make a difference? 

DFreeman1
Returning Member

I have .00 in the cents placement in box 4 on both w-2s as I round up/down on the entire tax form. I was also wondering if the round up would make a difference.

DFreeman1
Returning Member

Also on SC State tax the two wage earner credit worksheet (line 6 and line 7) have specific maximum amounts allowable.  The TT program entered an amount ($40,000) exceeding the maximum amount ($36,667) in line 6 which made line 7 an amount ($280) exceeding the maximum amount of $257.  All other figures on this worksheet are correct.

mrmikegap
Returning Member

I have the same problem as Dfreeman1. Deleted both W-2's and reloaded, and W-2's have the correct people. Ready to **bleep**can this software. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrmikegap
Returning Member

FYI, box 3 is $133,804.28 and box 4 is $8295.87. Even tried making box 4 8290.87 and still get the error. 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Any chance you have a Schedule C with its Schedule SE? This should not be a problem since TurboTax should limit the amount of self-employment taxes on Schedule SE based on the W-2 of the person who owned the business, but I needed to ask.

Sillier questions: are you using the Online or CD/download version of TurboTax? If CD/download version, have you updated it?

And when you look at the W-2 Summary (if you can see it), does it really correctly identify the owners of the W-2s?

Oh, and is there a chance that you actually have 3 W-2s because of a ghost W-2 that you want to delete? Do a Search (upper right) for w-2 and click on the jump-to link (Mac users must find W-2 in the Topics List). 

You should see a table with only 2 W-2s in it, one for each spouse. Any chance there are three?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@mrmikegap   Leave the cents OFF of box 4.  It is rounding up which makes box 4 too much.  

mrmikegap
Returning Member

@BillM223 

I'm not self employed, so I don't have a schedule SE. I did the W-2 search. 2 W-2's are listed and the owners are correctly identified. Also, I'm using the on line version of TT.

mrmikegap
Returning Member

@VolvoGirl 

Deleted the cents in box 4, and the error still happens.

mrmikegap
Returning Member

@VolvoGirl 

@BillM223 

Was just thinking, could it be that I didn't correct this error prior to paying for the on line version of TT, and then tried to e-file? Therefore, TT is not updating the changes to my W2 and is still using the data I first entered? 

I tried to "clear and start over," but TT says I can't because once you register a return, or pay TT fees, they can no longer clear and start over.

I have 2  W2 with corrected names, tried round-up, round-down, leave box 4 off!  Keep return to that check!!!! Very frustrated!  What going with Turbo tax this year? I dont want to change my method of filing! Thanks! 

I typed 0 in that checked box 1. and it worked!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies