turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a main job for which I get W-2 and also act. This year I got only w-2 for the acting. Can I deduct acting expenses? what if I report it as a self employment job?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have a main job for which I get W-2 and also act. This year I got only w-2 for the acting. Can I deduct acting expenses? what if I report it as a self employment job?

Can employees deduct any job-related expenses?

Job-related expenses for employees are no longer deductible on most people’s federal return in tax years 2018 through 2025 due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017. However, the job-related expenses deduction is still available to people who work in one of these specific professions or situations:

• Armed Forces reservist
  • Qualified performing artist
  • Fee-basis state or local government official
  • You're disabled and have impairment-related expenses

Additionally, job-related expenses may be deductible in your state. Enter your expenses and we’ll figure out if you can deduct them.

Expenses that qualify for this deduction are those the IRS considers "ordinary and necessary" for work, like uniforms, tools, union dues, licenses, and travel between job sites.

Let’s assume I didn’t have ANY income this year but only expenses. Can I write them off somewhere? I wrote them off last year when I created new line of work on turbo tax. If I am doing the same this year turbo tax still deduct those expenses from my total income. Can I continue doing it? Again, those are not related only to the W-2 specific gigs.  Those are regular expenses I have yearly for this line of work. 

Did you file schedule C last year for self employment 1099Misc income and deduct the expenses on schedule C?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies