Solved: I have 3 accounts with my bank none of which have earned more than $10n interest during 2016.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

I have 3 accounts with my bank none of which have earned more than $10n interest during 2016.

The bank informs me they do not need to send me a 1099-INT because of the new IRS rules. Do I not enter this interest on my tax form?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 7

I have 3 accounts with my bank none of which have earned more than $10n interest during 2016.

FYI, the iRS rules they are referring to are not new.  The $10 limit has been in effect for as long as I remember and I've been doing this for over 45 years.

That being said, if you are required to file a Federal income tax return, you are required to include all taxable income whether or not the payer has to send you a form reporting it to you and the IRS. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Level 7

FYI, the iRS rules they are referring to are not new.  The $10 limit has been in effect for as long as I remember and I've been doing this for over 45 years.

That being said, if you are required to file a Federal income tax return, you are required to include all taxable income whether or not the payer has to send you a form reporting it to you and the IRS. 

View solution in original post

Returning Member

The three accounts do not individually have interest income greater than $10 but the sum of the interest from all there accounts is greater than $10. Do I enter each account on a separate line for the bank or just enter the (greater than $10) value for the sum of the accounts as a single entry for the bank ?
Level 7

Either way will be fine.  The IRS only requires a complete Schedule B if your total interest and/or dividends exceeds $1,500.
Returning Member

Thanks
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings