jeanettecoombs

I don't know what documentation to include to show foreign-earned income. What if I don't have a W-2?

Part of my salary was paid by the French state last year (as maternity leave pay).  I don't have a w-2 for this income, but I do have a certificate from the French social security agency that lists the income I received.  Should I enclose this certificate with my tax return and explain the situation in a letter to the IRS?
LinaJ2018

You do not need to attach any statements to your filing if you choose to e-file your taxes.  However, you do need to keep any proof for your record in case IRS requests in the future.  To enter your foreign earned income without a Form W-2, please simply follow these steps :

1. After sign into your account, select Take me to my return 

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box , type in foreign income and Enter 

3.  Select Jump to foreign income 

4.  Next screen, Did You Make Any Money Outside the United States? answer Yes 

5.   On screen, What Form(s) Was Foreign Income Reported On ?check the third box and continue to enter your                    information

miniSc

If I file a paper return do I need to send earnings documents from the government?