turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am wondering why I did not receive the child tax credit. I filed hoh, 80425 ago, 2 dependents. Any idea

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I am wondering why I did not receive the child tax credit. I filed hoh, 80425 ago, 2 dependents. Any idea

We do not know why --- but the first payments only went out today.   There are bound to be bugs and glitches in the system at first.  Congress changed the tax laws in the middle of the tax season and the IRS had to throw together a way to send out millions of payments  ---- while already backlogged with tax refunds and stimulus payments.

If you do not get it as monthly payments you will be able to get it on your 2021 tax return.   Give it some time--see if they work it out soon.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/2021-child-tax-credit-and-advance-child-tax-credit-payments-f...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I also filed head of household with 1 dependent (my son) and received my taxes already back in March. I received a letter from the irs saying I was eligible for the advanced ctc but I never received anything in my bank account. I did amend my return in May for something not pertaining to my dependent nor have I gotten my unemployment tax rebate either. Do you think this has to do with me amending my taxes? 

The pending amended return might be interfering with your advance monthly CTC payment.   The program just began so there is still a lot we do not know about how the IRS is handling everything----it seems to be a moving target.   If you do not receive the monthly payments you will be able to reconcile the CTC on your 2021 tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I filed my taxes and got my refund back in March before all this ctc came about and the unemployment tax credit so do I need to amend my return and how do I go about it? I received a email from turbo tax stating I don’t have to do anything but I have received either credit. 

I submitted my tax return for 2 kids through Turbo Tax. Now, the IRS is seeing only 1 child. This is ridiculous. AVOID this SCAM at all cost!

@rafalrem Check your Form 1040----are both children listed as dependents?  They will be shown up near the top of the first page.   Does it show that they are both qualified for the child tax credit or does one say "credit for other dependents?"   Was one of the children older than 16 at the end of 2020?  Or was one born in 2020?   If you have a newborn did you say in My Info that the child lived with you the whole year?

Or look farther down on your Form 1040 for the child-related credits:

Look at your 2020 Form 1040 to see the child-related credits you received

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Child Tax Credit line 19

Credit for Other Dependents line 19

Earned Income Credit line 27

Additional Child Tax Credit line 28

Child and Dependent Care Credit line 31 (from line 13 of Schedule 3)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900923-what-is-the-child-tax-credit

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/does-my-childdependent-qualify-for-the-child-tax-credit-or-the-credit-f...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies