turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am was a bartender in 2019, is that considered a job related expense deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I am was a bartender in 2019, is that considered a job related expense deduction?

First your question doesn't make any sense ... why being a bartender would produce job related expenses at all is a poser.  However,  starting with 2018 employee job related expenses are no longer deductible no matter what job you hold. 

Is WHAT considered a deduction?  We need more details. Did you get a W2 or 1099Misc for it?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

A bartender would normally be an employee. An employee gets a W-2 at the end of the year. Critter-3 is assuming that that's what you are. If you are not an employee, please clarify your job status and what expenses you are asking about.

Hal_Al
Level 15

No occupation is considered a job related expense deduction.  Some occupations are more likely to have expenses than others.  bar tending is not normally one of them.  Job and/or business  related expenses must be both "ordinary and necessary" to be tax deductible.

Starting in 2018, employees  (W-2 recipients) are no longer able to deduct any job expenses.  Even in the "old days"  you only got to deduct that portion of  your misc. itemized deductions deductions that exceeded 2% of your AGI,  and then only if your total  itemized deductions exceeded the standard deduction (which was doubled under the 2018 tax law. .  (2% rule explained: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2902781-what-is-the-2-rule ).

If you are a self employed individual or contract employee, you are allowed "business" (job related) expenses deductions. The IRS considers anything in box 7 of 1099-MISC to be self employment income.  

The IRS also  considers undocumented cash income (no W-2 or 1099-MISC), for work performed, to be self employment income. Enter at "Business Income & Expenses" and TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C  for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security & medicare tax) on any profits greater than $400. You report the income from your own records. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies