turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am currently living abroad and want to file taxes can TurboTax help me each step of the way?

Which product should I use? 

Which forms would I need to file for married filed jointly but we both work in a foreign country? 

What supporting documents are needed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
DS30

I am currently living abroad and want to file taxes can TurboTax help me each step of the way?

If you are living abroad, TurboTax will guide you on entering your information. You may need to upgrade in order to claim either the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion or the Foreign Tax Credit.

if you file as married filing jointly and you are both US citizens living outside the US and meets the Bona Fide Residence Test or the Physical Presence Test, you might be able to claim an IRS - Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555) but it you are paying higher taxes in your foreign resident country then you may want to claim the Foreign Tax Credit instead (Form 1116).

When entering your foreign earned income  information, make sure that you report it under the foreign earned income section in USD.

To enter this transaction in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "foreign earned income" in the search bar then select "jump to foreign earned income". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information.

You would be able to take a Foreign Tax Credit for taxes paid in Canada on Canadian income that is also taxed in the US.

The Internal Revenue Service has no official exchange rate. The IRS will normally accept any posted exchange rate that is used consistently. You can translate the foreign currency to U.S. dollars using the yearly average currency exchange rate for the tax year.  In general, use the exchange rate prevailing (i.e., the spot rate) when you receive, pay or accrue the item. Please refer to the following IRS links for more information about Foreign Currency and Currency Exchange Rates and Yearly Average Currency Exchange Rates.

I have been using TurboTax for over 35 years.  First in the US and since moving to the UK in 1989 to now.  Renewing has always been hard and now seems even harder.  Having friends but the CD and send it to me is awkward and I feel I'm imposing on them too much.  What can I do?  All I want to do is submit my US taxes.

@JohnWhetsel 

Unfortunately, unless you have a USA credit card with a USA billing address, you can't buy the download software...so you may be stuck with your current procedure.   (though some users have gotten around that (I think) by getting a USA-$$ pre-paid debit card at a US embassy for more than the download purchase price+sales tax, and somehow sticking a somewhat random US  address on it...but I don't know the details or what other machinations may be involved).  

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Yes, I'm experiencing the same issue.

Cannot submit on the payment page.

I'm surprised because I'm sure that I'm not the only TurboTax user living abroad.

Is there another company website that does not have this issue?  Or can TurboTax suggest a workaround?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

You have options.  You can either ask family or friends who have the credit cards with US billing address to pay for you.  Or you can choose to use your refunds to pay for the fees. See the related links below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/payments/help/can-i-pay-my-turbotax-fees-with-a-foreign-credit-or-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/can-i-direct-deposit-into-a-foreign-or-overseas-accou...

@matthew-bouraee

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Wow, this is terrible! I’ve always used Turbo Tax, but now there’s no way for me to pay because I don’t have a US account and I’m not getting a refund.  Their loss I guess but it’s frustrating that I just spent all of that time doing my taxes and now have to start over. 

Did you try one of the IRS FREE FILE options ?   If you qualify to use the TT one the current info can be transferred over  :    https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

Thanks!

As a veteran I bank with USAA and Navy Federal, since I'll be retiring and relocating to South America both my banks told me I can keep the accounts open and keep using my debit and credit cards but I have to change my address to the country I will be relocating so they can send me correspondence. I mean is common sense, the credit card still belongs to a US bank, the only thing that changed is the address being foreign.... Help!

I do not wish to bother relatives for this. 

There are 10 FREE FILE options thru the IRS ... you should use one of them if you qualify ... for 2019 your AGI had to be $69K or less.   https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

Or buy the downloaded program thru a reputable online company. 

Or use a prepaid US  debit card with a US address (use a family members address). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies