Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gahouwong

How to e-file in New York when you need to write 'Non resident alien' on your foreign spouse's SSN# on paper form?

'Writing "non-resident alien" in place of SSN for foreign spouse on "married but filing separately" return.'----that's what they told me to do. However, New York state requires e-filing but I can only write 'NRA' in the paper form. Does anyone know what to do? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

How to e-file in New York when you need to write 'Non resident alien' on your foreign spouse's SSN# on paper form?

A tax return, federal or state, cannot be e-filed when entering NRA in the Social Security field.  The New York state tax return will have to be printed and mailed.  New York allows a state tax return to be mailed if the software being used to file the return does not support electronic filing.

gahouwong

Thank you for the reply. In my case, I received a message that I 'must' e-file because I used software (turbotax). That's why I'm confused because I need to enter 'NRA' on the printed form.

Disregard the message.  You must print and mail the state return since you are going to enter NRA in the Social Security number box.
chigat

I have the same issue - plus I am wondering how we are meant to write NRA on the NYS tax return when it explicitly states "No Handwritten entries"

This is the same problem that I am faced with, my last choice was to find empty forms and fill out the information that Turbo Tax generated for me. I'm not 100% sure if it will work out

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes you can copy your tax information onto New York fill-in forms @Carmen256. It's a long process but it ensures you will meet the requirement's of the state's e-filing mandate.

E-file requirement for individual taxpayers

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

did this work out for you?

Did this work for you? I’m in the same situation right now.

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

No, you can't e-file a tax return with "NRA" written in the SSN field. You aren't technically required to e-file in that circumstance. 

The NY e-file mandate is this:

"You're required to electronically file your return if you meet all three of the following conditions:

• you use software to prepare your own personal income tax return; and
  • your software supports the electronic filing of your return; and
  • you have broadband Internet access."   - NYS Department of Taxation and Finance

Since TurboTax doesn't support the electronic filing of a tax return without a SSN, you aren't required to e-file that return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies