How to e-file in New York when you need to write 'Non resident alien' on your foreign spouse's SSN# on paper form?

'Writing "non-resident alien" in place of SSN for foreign spouse on "married but filing separately" return.'----that's what they told me to do. However, New York state requires e-filing but I can only write 'NRA' in the paper form. Does anyone know what to do? 

A tax return, federal or state, cannot be e-filed when entering NRA in the Social Security field.  The New York state tax return will have to be printed and mailed.  New York allows a state tax return to be mailed if the software being used to file the return does not support electronic filing.

Thank you for the reply. In my case, I received a message that I 'must' e-file because I used software (turbotax). That's why I'm confused because I need to enter 'NRA' on the printed form.

Disregard the message.  You must print and mail the state return since you are going to enter NRA in the Social Security number box.

I have the same issue - plus I am wondering how we are meant to write NRA on the NYS tax return when it explicitly states "No Handwritten entries"