Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live and work overseas, and I just learned about the FBAR. How far back do I have to file FBARs for?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live and work overseas, and I just learned about the FBAR. How far back do I have to file FBARs for?

How many years of delinquent FBARS must I file?

File delinquent FBARS for the years open under the Statute of Limitations for assessing FBAR civil penalties. Normally that will be six years because the Statute of Limitations is six years from the due of the delinquent FBAR, (June 30). Unlike the Statute of Limitations on income tax assessments, the FBAR Statute begins to run even if no FBAR was filed. Thus, a 2008 FBAR, due June 30, 2009 would not be required to be filed now because the Statute of Limitations expired on June 30, 2015. Assuming the 2015 FBAR was timely filed, one would file for the years 2009 through 2014.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/report-of-foreign-bank-and-financial-a...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

How many years of delinquent FBARS must I file?

File delinquent FBARS for the years open under the Statute of Limitations for assessing FBAR civil penalties. Normally that will be six years because the Statute of Limitations is six years from the due of the delinquent FBAR, (June 30). Unlike the Statute of Limitations on income tax assessments, the FBAR Statute begins to run even if no FBAR was filed. Thus, a 2008 FBAR, due June 30, 2009 would not be required to be filed now because the Statute of Limitations expired on June 30, 2015. Assuming the 2015 FBAR was timely filed, one would file for the years 2009 through 2014.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/report-of-foreign-bank-and-financial-a...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies