turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jhayesunc

How do I input a tax adoption credit for a failed adoption? Turbo tax asks for SS number and name and obviously, with a failure, I don't have that.

I know that I am able to take the deduction as it has been one year, just can't figure out how to actually do it in the program itself.  Just need to know how to navigate turbotax for this specific item.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaR

How do I input a tax adoption credit for a failed adoption? Turbo tax asks for SS number and name and obviously, with a failure, I don't have that.

Here are the steps to navigate TurboTax for a failed adoption:

At the page Information About This Adopted Child, enter Unknown for the first and last name and select Continue (click on screenshot below for more detail)

On next page, select This was a failed adoption attempt (click on screenshot below for more detail)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PatriciaR

Here are the steps to navigate TurboTax for a failed adoption:

At the page Information About This Adopted Child, enter Unknown for the first and last name and select Continue (click on screenshot below for more detail)

On next page, select This was a failed adoption attempt (click on screenshot below for more detail)

If I put unknown for the first and last name. What do I put for the date of birth? 

For the date of birth on a failed adoption, use an anticipated (approximate) date.

in order to claim the expenses for a failed adoption, one year must pass after the expenses are incurred, even if the child was not yet found.  Since you have paid the expenses in 2019, you can claim them on your 2020 tax return.  

You do not need a name for the child.  Enter Unknown for the first and last name, and an [approximate] intended birth date.  The software will not require an ITIN/SSN.

Here is IRS Topic No. 607, Adoption Credit

Please keep in mind, the credit applies to a US adoption. 

@Clancaster07

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies