Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kath23766

How do I fix my charitable contributions? It says I have an unacceptable value.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

138 Replies

Zero seems to be an unacceptable amount ... either enter an amount or leave the input box blank. 

BranaghanC
Returning Member

I have the same problem, entering zero, a random number, or leaving it blank has not solved the problem.

There are a few work arounds for when this happens.  This was a known error and now has been corrected.  But sometimes the first set of steps still does not work.

1. Click Deductions and Credits
  2. Select Review/Edit
  3. Click Edit to the right of Standard Deduction
    ​​Click OK, Sounds Good
  4. Click Wrap Up Tax Breaks
  5. Click Continue
  6. Make sure that $300 is filled in and then click Continue
  7. Click Lets Keep Going

If there is still an error, then go through the next work around.

Here is the second work around for claiming the $300 Charity Deduction:

1. In TurboTax select Federal in the panel on the left
  2. Select Deductions & Credits at the top of the page
  3. Under Your Tax Breaks - Charitable Donations 
  4. Click START to the right of Donations to Charity in 2020
  5. Click YES
  6. Click ADD next to Money
  7. Type in the name of the charity that you donated to
  8. Type the amount of the donation
  9. Select Done with Donation
  10. Select Done

Now the $300 will appear on Line 10B and in the Charitable Contributions screen

Why would I put I donated $300 to charity when I didn't donate anything to charity?  I shouldn't have to mail in my tax returns, I PAID for it, for a reason.  FIX YOUR SOFTWARE.

There is a known issue that produces the message, Charitable contributions has an unacceptable value."  Our team is working to fix the software.  In the meantime, here are some workaround steps that you can try right now: 

1. Click Deductions and Credits
  2. Select Review/Edit
  3. Click Edit to the right of Standard Deduction
    ​​Click OK, Sounds Good
  4. Click Wrap Up Tax Breaks
  5. Click Continue
  6. Make sure that $300 is filled in and then click Continue
  7. Click Lets Keep Going

If the error persists, then go through the next work around.

Here is the second work around for claiming the Charity Deduction:

1. In TurboTax select Federal in the panel on the left
  2. Select Deductions & Credits at the top of the page
  3. Under Your Tax Breaks - Charitable Donations 
  4. Click START to the right of Donations to Charity in 2020
  5. Click YES
  6. Click ADD next to Money
  7. Type in the name of the charity that you donated to
  8. Type the amount of the donation
  9. Select Done with Donation
  10. Select Done

Now the deduction should appear on Line 10B and in the Charitable Contributions screen.

How the CARES act changes deducting charitable contributions made in 2020

Previously, charitable contributions could only be deducted if taxpayers itemized their deductions.

However, taxpayers who don't itemize deductions may take a charitable deduction of up to $300 for cash contributions made in 2020 to qualifying organizations. For the purposes of this deduction, qualifying organizations are those that are religious, charitable, educational, scientific or literary in purpose. The law changed in this area due to the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act.

Keep in mind, it is very important to keep records of your charitable contributions.  If the IRS asks about them later, they will be denied if you don't have a record, receipt, letter, etc.

trevycas

I too have this problem. I did donate rather more than $300, but was planning on entering just $300. However, no matter what value  I enter in the box, the software returns an error: "unacceptable value". I have followed the two 'work-around' procedures listed here in this forum entry, and neither one has fixed the problem. Please fix the software!! (or, provide a working work-around....

Same problem! I need this fixed!

This is a known software issue.  Please try the following workaround: 

1. Delete the $300 in the error check.
  2. Then go back to Deductions & Credits and enter the contribution there, in the Donations to Charity topic.
  3. Click Done with Donations and proceed through the screens until you get to the screen that tells you that TurboTax has added in the contribution.

The contribution should appear on Form 1040 line 10b.

Having the same issue and I've tried all the recommendations in the comments. Nothing is working, it still says the value is an unacceptable value every time. 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Yes.  There is a problem with the Contributions section of the Itemized deductions and also the above the line $300.00 deduction.  Because of the many changes due to the CARES Act, IRS is still developing the forms and publications on this issue.  Last update was January 13th where everything is still in draft.  Once IRS finalizes the forms, we will be able to update TurboTax to accurately reflect your Contributions deduction.

Here are some of the changes due to the CARES ACT

The new legislation allows tax deductions on two types of charitable gifts. First, it allows up to $300 given to a qualified charity to be claimed as an above-the-line deduction. After the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, which went into effect in 2018, increased the standard deduction, many taxpayers had less incentive to donate to charities. Instead, they took the standard deduction and stopped itemizing.

For taxpayers who will itemize deductions, the CARES Act effectively suspends the limit on deductions for cash contributions to public charities for 2020.  “That allows individuals to completely wipe out their AGI, and their tax liability, with a charitable contribution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
taylorjrt

So, I'm assuming this is still an issue as I'm stuck in the "loop of death" and none of the "fixes" actually fixes anything.   Will we all get an email saying when the bug will be fixed?

Also having this problem still. Repeatedly telling us to just fill out $300 (whether or not we did donate that much) does not fix the problem and I am very frustrated that this is still an ongoing issue. Is there any other resolution to this problem yet?

Wait, so I'm supposed to enter $300 even though I didn't contribute nearly that much? All I donated was a case of food, worth maybe $25, that has nothing to do with CARES, so why do I have to jump through all these hoops?

OK, sorry, this isn't going to be the best instruction, but since I fixed it, now it doesn't seem to let me go replicate the steps, so I'm doing it from memory and paraphrasing a bit, but this might help:

I went back to Deductions & Credits, and when it says the standard is best for you, I clicked the "itemize anyway," then I went to the charitable donations and edited that.  It had some incorrect information already filled in, so I deleted a few charities that I did not donate to, ensured that I had the correct amount to the charities I did donate to, saved that ("continue" or whatever it is), and then it worked out.  Again, sorry this isn't precise, but it won't let me do it again, and, honestly, I'm scared to try too hard in the event that I'll be knocked back into the death loop again somehow...

Hope that helps!  If so, maybe TurboTax can give me a free filing this year... 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies