Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dudewtf

How do I enter my 2013 electric vehicle for credit when it only goes back to 2016?

According to an article I read, mt 2013 Nissan Leaf should qualify me for a tax credit but I cant select any year before 2016.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

How do I enter my 2013 electric vehicle for credit when it only goes back to 2016?

A 2013 Nissan Leaf S does qualify for a Used EV purchased in 2023 or after.  That credit will be available on the 2023 tax return, if purchased in 2023.  Here is the IRS reference.   

There is no credit available for "Used EVs" purchased in 2022 and before.  

A new EV purchased in a prior year may be eligible for credit by filing an amendment to that year's return.  Here is the IRS reference.  

You can file an amendment to claim a refund for returns filed only within the last three years. Here is the IRS reference. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dudewtf

I appreciate the feedback. However, I found conflicting information! Even the available models to select for credit goes back to 2016 in Turbo Tax, just not 2013. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

That vehicle could be eligible, however the time limit to file a 2013 amended return for a refund has expired. 

Be aware that if you sell that vehicle, the person that purchases your 2013 Nissan Leaf may get a tax credit of up to 4,000. 

According to the IRS:

“For Vehicles Purchased Before 2022

If you missed claiming a credit for an electric vehicle purchased before 2022, you may be able to claim it by filing an amended return for the tax year when you took possession of the vehicle.”

“Generally, for a credit or refund, you must file Form 1040-X within 3 years (including extensions) after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.”

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies