Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

budhat

How do i add a foreign country on tax return? i am a permanent residence and new 1040 requires to add foreign country.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

How do i add a foreign country on tax return? i am a permanent residence and new 1040 requires to add foreign country.

@budhat , as a resident alien, US will tax you on world income.  Are you saying that you have foreign income while having tax home in a foreign country ( abroad ) or that you are having foreign income  while living in the USA ( US tax home )?  Is this wages from a foreign entity, self-employment income or what ?  Which country?

You are a citizen of  which country ?  Is 2019  your first year as a Green Card holder ?

bikrant
Returning Member

Hi @pk, There's a new law that takes effect in 2020 which requires Green Card holders to admit that they are an immigrant on their tax returns. 

I was just filing my taxes using turbo tax and got stuck at the end right before filing it(after paying) because I couldn't find a way to specify that I'm an immigrant on my tax returns. 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@bikrant , I do not know  of  and to the best of my knowledge  there is no such requirement for Green Card  -- holders for tax purposes  --- there is always  DHS requirements to report address/ country of citizenship etc. but not for IRS or State  Taxes.  Please tell me where you are seeing this requirement  and in TurboTax ?

bikrant
Returning Member

@pk, I was reading this article and several others that mentioned this. This is a new USCIS law that requires green holders to state that they are an immigrant on 1040 form.

Here is the link to one of them. https://www.nbc-2.com/story/41563323/new-green-card-laws-2020 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

Hello @bikrant , I looked at the article you referred --- and also USCIS plus Title 8 which covers the  operation and laws surrounding DHS .  There is no such requirement for Green Card holders and there is no place on form 1040 for such entry.  Therefore I have to assume that the article author misunderstood   or confused requirements  of form 1040 and 1040-NR  ( cannot be filed through  TurboTax and is  ONLY for Non-Resident Aliens ).

Suggest you file your form normally , since you are a Green Card Holder  ( and therefore taxed on world income) and present in the USA.

rojomarso

I heard of the news as well and was told that you have to specify which country and city you cam from if you are a green cardholder. It's the space where it asks for a foreign country and foreign city or state and postcode right below your US address. Is there a way we can add details to 1040 form before TurboTax files it?

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

You do not need to specify on the US tax return which country and city you came from if you are a green card holder.

Frequenty Asked Questions About International Individual Tax Matters   scroll down to the subject, Green Card Holders

[Edited 02.23.20 | 1:21 pm]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Rajkyel1

Hi guys,

Did anyone found a solution yet, I checked with my CPA, but they are not aware of such requirement.

Please share your info.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Rajkyel1 , Please answers above -- there is NO requirement  , nor any space for, to provide  your citizenship details on form 1040.  This rumor about the the requirement is FALSE,  Has been answered above as such.

If you are claiming Tax Treaty benefits , then YES,  IRS would need to confirm your citizenship -- this is done on forms like 8833 / 8831/8843 etc. Nothing to do directly with form 1040.

Orsi

@pk the rumour may be false but we are really struggling here because we dont know what to do and what to  believe, and also there is indeed a section on the form 1040 where you can enter your country of origin, adress and zip code also. It has always been there even in the old 1040 forms. In the new one its even obvious because its on the front page. Its just that i dont seem to find any option on how to do that in Turbotax. If you go to a Tax office for sure you can do it there. The problem is to save some money which for most self employed people is crucial.

@Orsi wrote:

@pk the rumour may be false but we are really struggling here because we dont know what to do and what to  believe, and also there is indeed a section on the form 1040 where you can enter your country of origin, adress and zip code also. It has always been there even in the old 1040 forms. In the new one its even obvious because its on the front page. Its just that i dont seem to find any option on how to do that in Turbotax. If you go to a Tax office for sure you can do it there. The problem is to save some money which for most self employed people is crucial.

You are referring to the mailing address for where you would receive mail that is on the first page of the Form 1040.

If your Mailing Address (not your country of origin) is in a foreign country, you can enter that in TurboTax in the My Info section when using the online editions.

On the Mailing Address page, choose Foreign Country from the dropdown under Type of mailing address.

That will give you ability to enter the Province or State, Postal Code and Country.

Orsi

@DoninGA  ughhh this is so confusing and nonsense also. Generally i agree with you that such thing is false but in the same time i am also worried. I did contact the USCIS office though today and both representatives i talked with about the "New USCIS rules" mentioned in the news article, had no idea what i was talking about. Also they told me that if any new rule was issued they would have included it in the USCIS website (wich makes sense). Anyway i went even further and contacted the news author and i just reveived a "seen" icon with no answer in it. I dont know i guess its his interpretation of the form 1040 in order to get some clicks? Clickbait? I dont know. Oh and by the way here is the article just in case you wanna see it, looks so legit...

https://www.nbc-2.com/story/41563323/new-green-card-laws-2020

I also came across the same website regarding the news on new rules for green card holders but was not able to find anything new on irs website or anywhere else on the web that could further explain the case. 

Orsi,

I am in the same boat too. i called USCIS and couldnt get connected to anyone. I talked to an attorney and he told me that filing 1040 itself means declaring yourself as a US citizen OR permanent resident OR atleast an immigrant. It seems that the issue is that you and I are looking at it as in "Declare yourself as immigrant/green card holder if you are not a citizen", and from the perspective of IRS/USCIS it is " dont declare yourself non-immigrant and cheat on taxes, while you are an immigrant and must pay resident taxes". So i think its not the issue of dont call yourself a citizen, but rather dont declare yourself as non-immigrant. As by the virtue of filing 1040 and not 1040NR, we are already 'declaring' it. Also because there is no specific way of declaring oneself as an immigrant on 1040 fform. Above definition of foreign country by domainGA also makes sense in that light. Tell me what you have concluded. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies