turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stiles

I bought a second home 10 years ago for 157k and if I sell it before year end 2016 for 85k, still owe 62k on it, can any loss be claimed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I bought a second home 10 years ago for 157k and if I sell it before year end 2016 for 85k, still owe 62k on it, can any loss be claimed?

No. you can't claim losses on the sale of personal use property.
stiles

But if it were a gain, I would have to claim a capital gain?

Stick to your other question.  You said it was a rental?
stiles

Family issue

Your question was answered in the other post ... yes, a gain is taxable .  If you sell a rental then not only is the gain taxable but you also MUST recapture the depreciation allowed or allowable even if you didn't take any.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3398280-rented-my-second-home-from-1-2016-thru-9-2016-now-selling-...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies