Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mex01
Returning Member

Extra fees for the deluxe version not stated upfront

I have been with Turbo tax for years and always used the free edition to do my taxes. This year I had 1 W2 and a simple tax return. I figured that hey why not pay the extra $40 for the Deluxe Edition because $40 is reasonable for all the added perks you get. It wasn't till the end of wrapping everything up that they came clean with all the "added" fees. This being said my $40 turned into over $70 and I had no way to go back and choose the free edition. It seems to me that Turbo Tax purposely failed to show these additional fees otherwise I wouldn't have used the Deluxe Edition. I called to complain and asked them to put me back to the free edition and they said since the return was already accepted by the government they couldn't do so which to me is wrong on so many levels.

I feel like I've been swindled by a company that I've always given people great reviews on. Unless they fix this issue this will be the last year I choose to use them and think this practice is criminal. All fees should be made known up front instead of hiding them till the end and the price of the Deluxe Edition should be shown as what ever the price is plus the hidden fees. My money is really needed this year as I was just let go from my job and need every dollar.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Extra fees for the deluxe version not stated upfront

Actually all of the fees are shown on the screens as you go through them, including the refund processing fee of $39.99 ($44.99 in CA) to have the fees deducted from your federal refund.  Unfortunately, many people get in such a rush to get to their refund and file the return that they do not read the screens carefully and thoroughly enough to see the fees they are agreeing to pay.

And ----I do not work for TurboTax.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies