Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Your portion of Box 1 - Mortgage interest? I share the mortgage with my boyfriend so he is also filing. Do we divide the interest? Or does only one file with 1098?

SO we both are filing but not together. Should we take that total amount of interest and divide it or should we choose only one of us to file. We have pretty much split the mortgage since buying

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Your portion of Box 1 - Mortgage interest? I share the mortgage with my boyfriend so he is also filing. Do we divide the interest? Or does only one file with 1098?

Each of you can only deduct the amount you paid.  

So divide it in half? Considering we've both been paying into it equally. When I go to enter it. There is a box that says "check here if the amount entered is different than the amount on the 1098" I would assume I have to check that?

...I am getting close to getting the taxes filed professionally lol

If you pay it out of a joint account that you both put money into then one of you could claim it all & the RE taxes too ... usually the person with the higher income benefits the most.  If that person's SS# is not on the form 1098 then look for the box to check saying so.

Thank you! So I write him a check every month and he deposits it into his account. I deduct for utilities though! Also, we both get a similar amount BUT I work a lot of over time so my annual gross is more. AHHH I am stuck lol
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies