Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rdrbr21

Does income for the year include money earned but not paid during the year

If I earned money the last week of 2013 but don't get paid for it until first check of 2014 does it count as income for 2013?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies

Generally, no - almost all taxpayers are on what is called a "cash basis" meaning you report your earnings and expenses in the year in which the cash as received or spent. So, while you may be owed the money as salary or wages, if you have not received it in 2018, it is not 2018 income.

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
Carl
Level 15

Income is reported in the tax year it is received. It flat out does not matter in what year you may have earned it.

Lisad1

If income is deposited into your bank on Jan. 2, 2020 but is included on your 2019 1099-misc, are you supposed to have the 1099 corrected or move the income from 2020 to 2019 in Quickbooks/taxes?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If someone paid you the income in 2019, it is their deduction in 2019, but that doesn't affect you. If you received it in 2020, then you report it in 2020.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

You have to make a decision.

If you report the income based on the tax year on the check, then the 1099 and your income will match, but if you wish, you can hold the reporting of the income to the following year and attach a note to your return. You will have to mail your return, (this cannot be done with electronic filing). 

Having the 1099 MISC in one year and withholding Income Reporting to the following year will probably result in questions.  You may be 100% correct, but is it worth the exposure.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If I receive a check in November 2021 but don’t deposit it until January 2022, do I claim it on taxes for 2021 or 2022 ?

The year you actually got it and it was paid to you.  So when you got the check.  What kind of income?  If it was paid in Nov 2021 whoever paid you will report it on a 2021 W2 or 1099.  

Does “receive” mean having  a check placed in my hands or having  the amount of the check actually deposited in my account?  In other words, can I defer income to 2022 by depositing a check in January 2022 even though it is dated November 2021 ?

It’s a lump sum payoff of a note we’ve held for ten years.  I sold a house earlier this year and that jumped up my bracket.  I’d like to defer the gain from the note payoff until next year and thought if I didn’t actually have the funds in my account I could say I didn’t actually “receive “ the income.

Sorry you received the check.  That counts as you getting it.  What you do with the check and when doesn't matter.  

The relevant term is "Constructive Receipt."

Your income needs to be reported in the year that you have the ability to access the receipt of the funds, whether or not you open the check envelope or cash the check, but rather the governing determination is that you had the capacity to receive and use the monies, whether you did or not.

As end of year arrives, there is the problematic matter of a check mailed (not ACH, EFT, electronic deposit) in year 1 but because of postal handling time it is not received until year 2.

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
MJul

Thank you for that clarification.  Can I assume that a physical check cut by my employer and mailed on Dec 31, 2021 will contain funds that are not available until 2022, since I will not have the ability to access these funds until the check is received and deposited after the new year?

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@MJul  The reason why @ScruffyCurmudgeon describes the situation as "problematic" is as follows:  When the company writes you the check, they have made the funds available to you on their end.  If they are a cash-accounting customer, they would no doubt include this income as part of their 1099 that they issue to you.  While it is true that you can't have access to it and therefore have "constructive receipt"  of the income until you receive the check, the IRS hates inconsistency.  So if the other company is deducting it as a cash-basis accounting, and you are cash basis also, then their default expectation is for you to include the income also.  See the following IRS website for further information:  Constructive receipt of income.

As a possible means to successfully claim this income as not having been constructively received, you could enter such as a negative adjustment to income (such as Line 2 on Schedule C, "Returns and Allowances") this year and then in 2022 include the income as "Other income" (Line 6).  Keep documentation showing when you received the income, in case the IRS questions it.  And don't forget to report it in 2022.

If you are an employee, however, and the income is reported on your W2, you will not be able to adjust it.  And you can be sure your employer won't, either.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
caraimp1

My employer paid a Quickbooks invoice from me on December 30, but the money won't appear in my bank account until this week - it usually takes about 4 days. Would I count this as income for 2021 or 2022?

Thanks! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies