turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I get a step up in basis upon husband's death for securities held in a joint tenants (JTWROS) brokerage account in California (community property state)?

While the account was Joint Tenants with Right of Survivorship, I never contributed to it; all funding for all stock/fund purchases was provided by my husband. Also note that I am in California, a community property state, if that makes any difference.

My main question is: do I get to recalculate the basis for the securities my husband purchased? If yes, does my basis change for the whole quantity of each security or only for half?

A side note, in case it makes any difference: After my husband's death, but before I had transferred the account to be solely in my name, I sold some of the assets. So when I received the 1099-B, it was in my husband's name (and reported against his SSN). 

Do I report 100% of the capital gains on my individual return? Or do I report half on the return for the Estate of my husband? 

Are the gains all long-term? 

Do I have to nominee those capital gains (since they were reported against my husband's SSN)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

Do I get a step up in basis upon husband's death for securities held in a joint tenants (JTWROS) brokerage account in California (community property state)?

If the account qualifies as community property, at the death of one spouse you receive a step-up in basis for the entire amount.  See this web reference for a good summary:

http://www.calcpa.org/public-resources/ask-a-cpa/home-property/tax-issues/do-i-get-a-step-up-on-my-s...

Since the account passed to you at your husband's death, the sale is reported only on your tax return.  (If he died during 2015, you may still file your 2015 return as MFJ.)

Gain on the sale of inherited stock is always long term.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

If the account qualifies as community property, at the death of one spouse you receive a step-up in basis for the entire amount.  See this web reference for a good summary:

http://www.calcpa.org/public-resources/ask-a-cpa/home-property/tax-issues/do-i-get-a-step-up-on-my-s...

Since the account passed to you at your husband's death, the sale is reported only on your tax return.  (If he died during 2015, you may still file your 2015 return as MFJ.)

Gain on the sale of inherited stock is always long term.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thanks!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies