Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jpark100

How to remove the HSA part under deductions and credits. this was accidentally added.

I accidently added a deduction on my HSA portion... and it is incorrect. Now when I try to edit it wants me to upgrade to the $34.99 and I just want to remove that portion.

This also will not let me file
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

How to remove the HSA part under deductions and credits. this was accidentally added.

Try going to My Account / Tools / Remove a Form, and remove form 8889.

If you really don't have an HSA deposit (box 12 code W in your W-2) and really don't have a 1099-SA, you should be able to remove the HSA forms.

jpark100

I do have an HSA deposit.. is this what my company has contributed? do I had what I have contributed as well?

If you have a deposit in box 12 code W, that should include both what your company provided and what you contributed through payroll deductions.  Later in the program, when you are asked for additional HSA deposits, only list deposits you made with out of pocket, after tax money. Otherwise you are listing the same money twice and taking a double deduction.

If you have HSA deposits, you need form 8889 even if you did not spend any money from the account this year.  And form 8889 requires the upgrade to Deluxe.

I have a code w in box 12, but I also received a 1099 sa. My w2 was automatically imported and the hsa showed up, but I also clicked on the health savings account option. We don't have two hsa accounts and it was only money put in by the employee. I had to pay the fee and upgrade to the deluxe and use the 8889 form, is this correct? My son did his taxes through credit karma tax and he didn't have to use that form and efiled for free? Why was I charged? And did I click on the health savings account when I shouldn't have? HELP? Did my taxes on 2.4.2017

Code W in box 12 indicates that your employer made deposits into a health savings account for you.  That includes free money from the employer and also money you contributed through payroll deduction (it is treated as though you took a voluntary salary reduction and your employed paid the money into the account instead of to you.)

A 1099-SA indicates that you withdrew money from an HSA in 2016.  

Both situations require that you include form 8889 with your tax return, and this form is not included in free versions of Turbotax.

I am not a turbotax employee and can't comment or explain their pricing policies.  However, I will say that CreditKarma is free because they use your personal information to display highly personalized advertisements.  And CreditKarma is simply incapable of filing some of the more complicated situations.  Turbotax is not supported by ads, and it costs a lot of money to program federal plus 50 states plus hundreds of city tax rules.  So they have to charge at least some of their customers.

Thank you for your answer but if I had known I didn't have to pay for this form just because I have an HSA I would have went some where else. I don't have 100.00 just to give away. But turbo tax I trusted them and they had me believing I can't file my taxes with out paying the fee. My son used the same form I found out and was not charged a dime. I wish there were some way to get my money back.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies