Claiming dependents

Claiming dependents

Am I able to claim adult dependents and their two children?  I pay their mortgage and utilities.  They will not be filing taxes as they did not work this year and they did not go to school.

Claiming dependents

Please explain who they are.

Claiming dependents

as well as whether they live with you and whether they make more or less than $4200, 

do they files taxes and claim the children? are they married to each other?  

Claiming dependents

I don't think they are filing taxes this year.  Income is below $4,200.  They are not married.  They live in a separate home in another local town that is in our son's fiance's name and our name, that we pay the mortgage on. 

Claiming dependents

It is not likely that you can claim any of them. They must have lived with you for the entire year in order to claim them as qualifying relatives.

If they lived with you for all of 2019, you provide more than half of their support, and they had income of less than $4,200, it is possible that you can claim them as a dependent (qualifying relative).

Rules for Claiming a Dependent

Claiming dependents

I would encourage them to file.... they may be eligible for Earned Income Credit and Child Credits......