turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sgong77
Returning Member

Claiming dependents

Am I able to claim adult dependents and their two children?  I pay their mortgage and utilities.  They will not be filing taxes as they did not work this year and they did not go to school.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Claiming dependents

Please explain who they are.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Claiming dependents

as well as whether they live with you and whether they make more or less than $4200, 

do they files taxes and claim the children? are they married to each other?  

sgong77
Returning Member

Claiming dependents

I don't think they are filing taxes this year.  Income is below $4,200.  They are not married.  They live in a separate home in another local town that is in our son's fiance's name and our name, that we pay the mortgage on. 

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

Claiming dependents

It is not likely that you can claim any of them. They must have lived with you for the entire year in order to claim them as qualifying relatives.

If they lived with you for all of 2019, you provide more than half of their support, and they had income of less than $4,200, it is possible that you can claim them as a dependent (qualifying relative).

Rules for Claiming a Dependent

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Claiming dependents

I would encourage them to file.... they may be eligible for Earned Income Credit and Child Credits...... 

Manage cookies