Staceylcktt

Child tax credit

Hello. Today I did not get my childtax credit for my 3 children. I checked and it said that I was not eligible. I know that I am eligible and my children are all under the age of 17. I was advised on Turbotax to do an Amended return because I had questions about my tax return and they checked it with me and it was a few mistakes. So I did an Amended return as suggested, and is that the cause of me not getting the child tax credit for my children? And after my amended return is fully processed and sent to me, will I get the child tax credit then??

Bsch4477

Child tax credit

You might get the credit next month. It takes 6 months or more to process an amended return so it is likely that your credit will be calculated on the basis of your original return 

Staceylcktt

Child tax credit

Ok thank you. I hope so.

alisonb109

Child tax credit

Same exact thing except I amended my return in January. I have yet to receive any stimulus money for the 3 kids under 17 or any EIP money for them despite being eligible.   

Child tax credit

@alisonb109 What tax return did you amend in January?    In order to get the stimulus payments you need to file a 2020 tax return and use the recovery rebate credit on a 2020 return.   The IRS is not going to use an amended 2019 return now to issue stimulus payments.

Did you file a 2020 return?   The EIP payments now are ONLY based on 2020 returns--not 2018 or 2019.   What were the ages of your children at the end of 2020?

Staceylcktt

Child tax credit

Wow. 

Staceylcktt

Child tax credit

I did my taxes in February, and Amended in March. It says it's still processing. I guess it will be longer than the 16 weeks that is stated on the IRS website. But I do hope that I can get the child tax payments for my children after that. My children are 4, 11, and 14. 

Child tax credit

@Staceylcktt

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

Staceylcktt

Child tax credit

Ok thanks.