turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child tax credit

Hello. Today I did not get my childtax credit for my 3 children. I checked and it said that I was not eligible. I know that I am eligible and my children are all under the age of 17. I was advised on Turbotax to do an Amended return because I had questions about my tax return and they checked it with me and it was a few mistakes. So I did an Amended return as suggested, and is that the cause of me not getting the child tax credit for my children? And after my amended return is fully processed and sent to me, will I get the child tax credit then??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Child tax credit

You might get the credit next month. It takes 6 months or more to process an amended return so it is likely that your credit will be calculated on the basis of your original return 

Child tax credit

Ok thank you. I hope so.

Child tax credit

Same exact thing except I amended my return in January. I have yet to receive any stimulus money for the 3 kids under 17 or any EIP money for them despite being eligible.   

Child tax credit

@alisonb109 What tax return did you amend in January?    In order to get the stimulus payments you need to file a 2020 tax return and use the recovery rebate credit on a 2020 return.   The IRS is not going to use an amended 2019 return now to issue stimulus payments.

Did you file a 2020 return?   The EIP payments now are ONLY based on 2020 returns--not 2018 or 2019.   What were the ages of your children at the end of 2020?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Child tax credit

Wow. 

Child tax credit

I did my taxes in February, and Amended in March. It says it's still processing. I guess it will be longer than the 16 weeks that is stated on the IRS website. But I do hope that I can get the child tax payments for my children after that. My children are 4, 11, and 14. 

Child tax credit

@Staceylcktt

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Child tax credit

Ok thanks. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies