Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i delete form 8889 from my 2023 tax return since I did not have a HDHP for that year and did not make any contributions to my HSA? TurboTax created the formin 2022

My 2022 return has an error that indicated I made an overpayment that year which is incorrect.  I will need to amend that tax year's return, but currently trying to complete 2023.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Can i delete form 8889 from my 2023 tax return since I did not have a HDHP for that year and did not make any contributions to my HSA? TurboTax created the formin 2022

In the HSA section of 2023 TurboTax, correct the amount shown as your excess contribution carried into 2023 from 2022.  Absent another reason for your tax return to include Form 8889, TurboTax will automatically remove Form 8889.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

did you have funds in the HSA at the end of 2023 and are subject to any penalties , then yes it must be included 

did you use any funds in the HSA to pay medical expenses in 2023? if yes it must be includedwith 1040 and form 1099-SA must be entered. 

dmertz
Level 15

In the HSA section of 2023 TurboTax, correct the amount shown as your excess contribution carried into 2023 from 2022.  Absent another reason for your tax return to include Form 8889, TurboTax will automatically remove Form 8889.

Thank you.  Once I was able to correct the the amount carried over from 2022 to zero as I had no excess contributions in 2022, it worked!  I had to go to forms and edit the form within turbotax and provide an explanation as to why it was edited.  Once I did that the form was no longer included in my return.

Dan1900
Returning Member

I have never had a HSA why is TurboTax completing a form for me with zero information when it is not needed?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can delete the form, but if it is required for one of the following reasons, the form will repopulate.   File Form 8889 to:

• Report health savings account (HSA) contributions (including those made on your behalf and employer contributions).
  • Figure your HSA deduction.
  • Report distributions from HSAs.
  • Figure amounts you must include in income and additional tax you may owe if you fail to be an eligible individual.

A health savings account, or HSA, is a tax-advantaged savings account that taxpayers enrolled in high-deductible health plans (HDHPs) can use to pay for qualified medical expenses.

How to delete forms in TurboTax Online

How to delete forms in TurboTax Desktop

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies