Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim the energy tax credit for improvements in previous years?

I installed doors and insulation in 2017, Windows in 2018, and doors and solar panels in 2019. When I filed my returns in 2017 and 2018, I didn't see the option to file for credit for these improvements. I guess there was some issue with them extending the credits retroactively or something? Can I list all of these improvements in my 2019 return? Or do I need to go back and file an amended tax return for 2017 and 2018? If so, how do I do that and what does it cost?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

The non-business energy tax credits originally expired after 12/31/2017.  They retroactively now expire after 12/31/2020.  So the credits are now good for tax years 2018 and 2019.  They were already available for 2017.  If you wish to claim the credits for those back years and you have filed already, you will need to amend your returns. 

If you used TurboTax Online, simply log in to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I downloaded the 2018 software and got my tax file imported. All of the numbers checked of the return looked right so it appears to have imported correctly. I checked the box saying that I already filed my 2018 taxes which dropped the refund number at the top down to $0. I then navigated to the home energy credit page and entered that I spent $16336 on windows that year, but when I clicked next it didn't raise the refund to $200 like it should have. Am I missing something?

I also tried entered a value for doors to see if it would change, but that made no effect. But if I entered a value for solar panels on the following pages it did increase the refund correctly. Was their not a 10% credit for windows and doors in 2018 after all?

@Tns5614  The IRS has not updated the 2018 Form 5695 or the instructions for Form 5695 to include the NonBusiness Energy Property Credit.  Until the IRS updates the form, then TurboTax cannot provide a 2018 Form 5695 that will include the credit.

Do you know if the IRS is planning to update the 2018 Form 5695? And if so, is there an expected date for that form to be completed?

It is unknown when the IRS will provide an updated Form 5695.  Assume it will be within the next few months.

Check on the IRS website for prior year forms and schedules, enter 5695 in the find box and then click on the Form 5695 for 2018 and there will be a page 2 if updated - https://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/priorFormPublication.html

You have until April 15, 2022 to file a 2018 amended tax return for a tax refund.

It appears that the updated Form 5695 for 2018 is now officially posted on the the IRS site, but TurboTax 2018 has not yet been updated to allow me to amend my return and claim that credit. Is there somewhere that I can go to see when TurboTax will get their 2018 software updated?

@Tns5614 wrote:

It appears that the updated Form 5695 for 2018 is now officially posted on the the IRS site, but TurboTax 2018 has not yet been updated to allow me to amend my return and claim that credit. Is there somewhere that I can go to see when TurboTax will get their 2018 software updated?

See this TurboTax website concerning the recently passed Tax Extenders - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/2018-extenders-passed-under-taxpayer-certainty-and...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies