jeannett-robin

Can I claim payments on past due taxes on 2019 taxes?

Federal taxes owed and paid for a prior tax year are not reported on nor deductible on a federal tax return.

State taxes owed and paid for a prior tax year are reported on a federal tax return.

A few states allow you to deduct Federal taxes paid on your state return.

In no case, however, can you deduct any interest or penalties paid.

The money you paid to the IRS for a previous year’s federal tax return is not deductible, so you do not enter it anywhere on your 2019 return.  If you paid taxes due in 2019 to your state or local government, you can enter that by going to Federal> Deductions and Credits> Estimates and Other Taxes Paid> Other Income Taxes.  You can enter the taxes you paid, but do not include any penalties or interest.

There are six states that allow you to enter the federal tax you paid on your state return--Alabama, Iowa. Louisiana, Missouri, Montana, and Oregon.  If you are filing in one of these states watch for the deduction when you prepare your state return.