Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I make donation to Salvation Army online in December 2017, and they pickup in January 2018, when is the donation year?

If I donate items to Salvation Army by their online form in December 2017, and they pickup in January 2018, what is the donation year? 

According to Salvation Army call center, they assured me that the donation is for the 2017 tax year; because "It is not my fault when they are able to pickup the donation that is waiting for them".

As far as I understand, their receipt will show the online December donation date (which I will receive after they have picked up the items in January).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If I make donation to Salvation Army online in December 2017, and they pickup in January 2018, when is the donation year?

It's 2018. 

You would still have possession of the goods on 12/31/2017, so could change your mind about donating.

"When donating used clothing or household goods, deduct the donation in the year you drop the items off or have them picked up."
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://finance.zacks.com/can-donate-charity-year-tax-deduction-last-year-9746.html">https://finance...>
It sounds like the Salvation Army is playing fast and loose with the rules.

Because they are giving you credit in 2017, you would not be wrong to claim on 2017 taxes.  This is a judgment call and as long as you do not claim the same donation for both years you are not going anything illegal.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies