Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rosevie

I am an expat, and in 2018 I had different types of foreign income (salaries, severance pay, settlement, unemployment benefits) - do they all qualify for the FEIE?

In this case I would enter them all, meaning the total added up amount, under "Foreign earned income and Exclusion" in TurboTax. Or should they be entered in different sections in TurboTax? If yes, which type goes where?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PhyllisG

I am an expat, and in 2018 I had different types of foreign income (salaries, severance pay, settlement, unemployment benefits) - do they all qualify for the FEIE?

As an expat you are allowed to claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE) if you 

• Work outside the U.S. as an employee for a U.S. or foreign employer 
  • Work outside the U.S as an independent contractor or as a partner

The income you receive must be earned income outside the United States, and not investments such as dividends and interest. Earned income includes (not all inclusive) wages, salaries, professional fees, consulting fees, and other amounts received for personal services. 

Your unemployment benefits are not considered earned income; however, your severance pay and salary may qualify for the FEIE if the following aforementioned requirements are met. Furthermore, your settlement may be considered earned income and qualify for the FEIE if the settlement was employment related. 

1. You will report your severance pay, salary, and possible settlement on the Form 1040 by entering the information in the Personal Income section or Income and Expense section of the TurboTax program when prompted. 
  2. After entering all your data into your return, you will then type "Foreign Earned Income Exclusion" in Find/Search.
  3. Click the Jump to foreign earned income exclusion link
  4. Begin navigating through the prompts to determine the amount of exclusion that you are allowed.
  5. The information will appear on the Form 2555 Foreign Income Exclusion

Please note a non-FEIE settlement (excluding personal injury awards), and unemployment compensation is still considered a  reportable and taxable event and must be entered in your return even if they don't qualify for the FEIE.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PhyllisG

As an expat you are allowed to claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE) if you 

• Work outside the U.S. as an employee for a U.S. or foreign employer 
  • Work outside the U.S as an independent contractor or as a partner

The income you receive must be earned income outside the United States, and not investments such as dividends and interest. Earned income includes (not all inclusive) wages, salaries, professional fees, consulting fees, and other amounts received for personal services. 

Your unemployment benefits are not considered earned income; however, your severance pay and salary may qualify for the FEIE if the following aforementioned requirements are met. Furthermore, your settlement may be considered earned income and qualify for the FEIE if the settlement was employment related. 

1. You will report your severance pay, salary, and possible settlement on the Form 1040 by entering the information in the Personal Income section or Income and Expense section of the TurboTax program when prompted. 
  2. After entering all your data into your return, you will then type "Foreign Earned Income Exclusion" in Find/Search.
  3. Click the Jump to foreign earned income exclusion link
  4. Begin navigating through the prompts to determine the amount of exclusion that you are allowed.
  5. The information will appear on the Form 2555 Foreign Income Exclusion

Please note a non-FEIE settlement (excluding personal injury awards), and unemployment compensation is still considered a  reportable and taxable event and must be entered in your return even if they don't qualify for the FEIE.

I am at complete loss.

It'll be my first tax report in years and have never done as an expat.

I was filling in US when needed until my earnings gave me an exempt. Now I am renting part of my house and have enough earnings to declare or...I am not sure.

Thank you soooo very much for helping

Grace Kawall

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies