turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I qualify to itemize deduction. Why isn't turbo tax add the mortgage interest amount to my itemized deduction amount?

As my total deductions are greater than $25,000, I qualify to use itemized deduction.  I have put in approximately $4000 as mortgage interest but the software does not add this amount to the itemized deduction total.   Note that the $4000 does correctly show in the "your 2018 deduction & Credit page" in the section Your Home. Help!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristieB

I qualify to itemize deduction. Why isn't turbo tax add the mortgage interest amount to my itemized deduction amount?

If you are using the desktop version, you can view your Schedule A: Itemized Deductions even if you are taking the Standard Deduction currently.

1.) In the upper right-hand corner, click Forms

2.) On the left-hand side, click Open Form

3.) In the search bar the pops up, type Schedule A 

You will then be able to see exactly what has been entered, where the limitations are, and which areas you might need to revisit and update if any. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Ashby

Are you sure you have that much in deductions? Remember that your state and local taxes are capped at $10,000 this year. You can not deduct above that amount for state income tax, property tax, real estate tax, etc.

and Medical is subject to a 7.5% of AGI floor.  Charitable is also limited to a certain percent of AGI.
ChristieB

If you are using the desktop version, you can view your Schedule A: Itemized Deductions even if you are taking the Standard Deduction currently.

1.) In the upper right-hand corner, click Forms

2.) On the left-hand side, click Open Form

3.) In the search bar the pops up, type Schedule A 

You will then be able to see exactly what has been entered, where the limitations are, and which areas you might need to revisit and update if any. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies