turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

angcox7

Can I claim relocation expenses paid by employer? They were all included on my W-2 in Box 1.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Can I claim relocation expenses paid by employer? They were all included on my W-2 in Box 1.

Are relocation expenses deductible on which state's income tax: the state you're moving from or the state you're moving to?  Similarly, which state is the source of such lump sum relocation payment?
itistanya

north Carolina
angcox7

This was not helpful. I read the IRS website and it did not answer my question.
CWirth
Intuit Alumni

If the amounts are reported as taxable in the W-2, the employee can take a deduction on their U.S. federal individual income tax return for the qualified moving expenses.
CWirth
Intuit Alumni

angcox7

Yes they're included in Box 1 but not Box 12
angcox7

Actually boxes 1, 3, 5, 16, 18
CWirth
Intuit Alumni

You may claim the deduction then since it is on your W2. Hope this is clear.
kevcmac

My company paid relocation/moving expenses and it is listed on my W2.  However, I left the company and was forced to repay half of the amount of the move.  How do I account for this scenario?

Are relocation expenses deductible on which state's income tax: the state you're moving from or the state you're moving to?  Similarly, which state is the source of such lump sum relocation payment?

My company paid me a lump sum relocation amount(A) and also taxes on it (amount B). Both A&B are included in my W-2 under box 1. Can I deduct this amount as moving expense while filing my tax return ? What if my actual expense(amount C) of moving/shifting/travelling etc was less than amount A, can I still deduct amount A & B as moving expense or if I can only deduct amount C as my moving expense ? Does IRS asked for the proof of actual expense ?
ALSkinn

I thought that under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-reform-changes-qualified-moving-expense-reimbursements) moving expenses are now taxable wages. This makes it sound like they are still tax deductible. Can you explain?

@ALSkinn 

The reason you are seeing such confusing information in this thread is that when TurboTax migrated old answers from the previous user forum "Answer Xchange" to the new user forum, "Real Money Talk" the old threads moved over with May and June 2019 dates, even if they were old.  

The new tax law says you cannot deduct moving costs unless you are active duty military.  There are some states which will still allow a deduction for moving expenses, but they are NOT deductible on your 2018 federal return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies