Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kathsnook

I am eligible for exclusion of CT State capital gains tax on sale of my home. I do not see how to indicate that , or to fill out the required form 394NR. Can you help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I am eligible for exclusion of CT State capital gains tax on sale of my home. I do not see how to indicate that , or to fill out the required form 394NR. Can you help?

According to the CT Department of Revenue -

If you are a resident of Connecticut and you are required to include any part of the gain from the sale of the house or land (located in Connecticut or outside of Connecticut) in your federal adjusted gross income, that portion of the gain is also subject to Connecticut income tax.  If you are a nonresident who sold a house or land located in Connecticut and you are required to include any part of the gain from the sale in your federal adjusted gross income, that gain is also subject to Connecticut income tax.  However, if you are a resident or a nonresident selling your primary residence and you meet the federal criteria for excluding that entire gain from federal income tax, none of the gain will be included in federal adjusted gross income and will not be subject to Connecticut income tax.

So if you meet the federal home gain exclusion, you will not have any CT nonresident state filing requirement.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DS30

Are you reporting the home sale on the federal return because you received a 1099-S?
kathsnook

No I did not receive a 1099-S, but I understand I should have
kathsnook

No I did not receive a 1099-S, but I understand I should have
DS30

According to the CT Department of Revenue -

If you are a resident of Connecticut and you are required to include any part of the gain from the sale of the house or land (located in Connecticut or outside of Connecticut) in your federal adjusted gross income, that portion of the gain is also subject to Connecticut income tax.  If you are a nonresident who sold a house or land located in Connecticut and you are required to include any part of the gain from the sale in your federal adjusted gross income, that gain is also subject to Connecticut income tax.  However, if you are a resident or a nonresident selling your primary residence and you meet the federal criteria for excluding that entire gain from federal income tax, none of the gain will be included in federal adjusted gross income and will not be subject to Connecticut income tax.

So if you meet the federal home gain exclusion, you will not have any CT nonresident state filing requirement.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies