Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Accidentally claimed my child

I accidentally claimed my daughter when it should have been her fathers year to claim her. How do I know how much money I should owe him? Or is there a way to fix this? I have already received my tax return. 

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

Accidentally claimed my child

You should file an amended return and remove your daughter from your return.  Her father won't be able to e-file and claim your daughter, until your amended return has been processed.  He can either file by mail, or wait until you have amended your return and it has been processed by the IRS.


To amend in TurboTax, click on  How do I amend my 2020 TurboTax Online return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15

Accidentally claimed my child

Taxes are complicated. There isn't a simple formula for calculating that amount.

You both have to prepare your returns both ways and compare the results.  That's hard to do with the online software.


The two main elements of the child benefits are the child tax credit (Up to $2000) and the Earned Income Credit (looked up in a table)  


You could try this tool, for comparisons:


This year there's the additional complication of the stimulus payment. Alternating year parents both get it, but if one of you claims the child both 2019 and 2020, only she gets it. That's $1100.  Amending may be best.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings